Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Unprepared and overwhelmed update.

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM
  • 6 Replies
4 moms liked this
Good morning, yesterday my son was sick so he stayed home from school. I spent the day organizing and playing games. Destinay did some cooking, she read some magazines, and it occurred to me that is learning. She was playing on Club Penguin she was reading. Maybe it isn't like sitting down doing academics, but it still counts. Here in RI public school students go to school 180 days per year. How many teachers actually get perfect attendance? How many students get that? How many people take days out of school and make up days later? I mean yesterday Thailee was sick he stayed out of school, is he going to go to school after it gets done? No he isn't. I think I can be too hard on myself at times. There are even days where teachers take what is called Professional Day, students get the day out. I am going to count yesterday as a Professional Day. Plus Destinay and I can do some kind of school today. We had a snowstorm yesterday, kids are out of school because of it. I can't go out due to Thailee being sick, we can do some work. At least there's no obligation. Thanks for all of the suggestions yesterday.
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I do not think I commented on your post, but just wanted to say you are right.  I take several professional days and the kids get easy days when their brains are just not functioning.  As long as they are learning it is all good.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Yes! Once you shake off some of your worries homeschooling becomes much more natural. 8)
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM

So glad to hear that you are not stressing so much over it any more!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I completely agree!

Quoting mem82: Yes! Once you shake off some of your worries homeschooling becomes much more natural. 8)

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL!  My son being home from school, sick, was my first inkling that maybe I could homeschool too.  He wanted to learn long division, but his teacher didn't want him to because she thought he'd be "more bored" the next school year.  I taught him in one afternoon at home, while he was sick! 

Had a mom sharing with me how proud she was of her little guy counting money and reading the cards while playing Monopoly.. There are all kinds of ways, places, and times to learn without having to go to a school building, sit in a desk all day, and do worksheets.

If you're just getting started and not quite sure, "Overcome Your Fear of Homeschooling" (on Amazon) might help you see the bigger picture of how homeschooling can become a natural lifestyle of learning.

HAVE FUN and enjoy the time with your kids!! They grow up so fast, and you won't have any regrets if you spend this valuable time with them. ;-)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

You are absolutely right! Not everyday is hardcore at our house, but you know what? Learning still happens :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN