Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

They're always here!!!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM
  • 13 Replies
What's your advice for a new hs mom as far as the kiddos being home 24/7?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's thought about this part more than other parts of taking on this journey.

what advice would you give a mom that's not use to having the kids home 24/7? that will easily be the biggest adjustment for me. my girls (8 & 5) have been in ps since pre k. my hubby works in the oilfield 2 weeks a month and home 2 weeks. we are used to our alone time on his days off. is there really anything you can do to prepare yourself for this part? I understand in ps they are out 2 mo at summer time. but we arent teaching/learning then. (we are learning, just not a rigorous school time deal)

thanks in advance :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM
3 moms liked this
There will come a day when you will not be able to imagine how you ever got along without them around all day. I get my alone time after the kids go to bed. But, I guess to be fair, I should say that I've never had a kid free home. My youngest has never been in school and my dd only did K. I've been doing this 7 years and I've never once regretted it.
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 3, 2014 at 1:08 PM
they've been home since 12/7 (for snow days then Christmas break) and I've absolutely loved it. I know it'll take a little bit to get used to. thanks!

Quoting Leissaintexas: There will come a day when you will not be able to imagine how you ever got along without them around all day. I get my alone time after the kids go to bed. But, I guess to be fair, I should say that I've never had a kid free home. My youngest has never been in school and my dd only did K. I've been doing this 7 years and I've never once regretted it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

So I've not had a kid free house, either, but it was a big adjustment.  My oldest is in 5th, we pulled him in the middle of 4th, and the others came home at the beginning of this school year (ok, I guess the end of last school year!).  I have 5, and we have varying levels of patience with each other.  But just like you adjusted to a baby coming home, you'll adjust to your new normal.  I find that I don't get a lot of down time at night.  My husband works from home, though, so I squirrel myself away for a while.  I need it.  My kids are a bit older, too, so they're not quite as dependent upon me once school is done.  Though it still never fails--go to the bathroom, there's someone who needs something inane that can wait, but they bug me about it anyway!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM
We take a nap or have rest time depending on what they choose to do that day. They have to lay down for at least 1.5 hours or play quietly in their rooms.

It gives us all time away from each other. Since you probably have not done nap time in awhile I would start with 30 min and work your way up. If they share a room I tell my kids they have to play quietly on their beds.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:22 PM

My kids have pretty much always been home all the time. 

It's an adjustment. My advice is just to make sure that for a chunk of the day (at our house it's about 2-3 hours most afternoons) they are free to choose their own activities, and you are free to do your own things. Maybe not feasible with a 5 year old to have it that long - but at least one hour for sure. You might enforce quiet time or reading time or whatever - but make sure they know how to tell time on a clock or have a timer and stick to it every day. I don't force the kids to stay in their rooms, but they do have to be in either the living room, their bedrooms, or the school room. Kitchen and dining room are mine and I'm usually cleaning, cooking, or crafting.

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 8:52 PM

This is our first hs year.  I love having my girls home now.  After school they take an hour and just play, mindlessly watch tv, etc. and I catch up on here or clean.

Congratulations on your hs decision, and welcome to the group!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM

It has been an adjustment for us here!  Mine have been home since 6/29/13 (summer vaca, then hsing!)  DH works nights, so we were used to our days alone when I got to be home, but I also worked in the school so we didn't get a lot of those.  But I used my personal days as days with DH.  We would do our Christmas shopping one day and we usually did a couple beach days (one in the winter and one in the spring).  Before that, I was a substitute teacher so I was home with DH a couple days a week with no kids.

So since he works nights and I work afternoons...  I spend a little time with him in the morning before we start school, after he gets home.  And then after the kids go to bed, until he goes to work.  It works for us and I am soo glad the kids are home.  This may be TMI, but we often take a shower together in the mornings too...I get the kids going on some independent work and then DH washes my hair for me while I talk his ears off :) lol. 

I guess we just figure out the balance.  My kids also do the relaxing time in the afternoon, we didn't stick to it but that's one thing I want to make sure we do starting next week.  I just will have them do it while I'm at work so I'm not missing time with them ;)  It will work out because DH will get to sleep a little longer while they have their quiet time.

BTW, my kids are 10.5 and 11.5, so old enough to be 'alone' for a bit...they don't need constant supervision.  If yours are young enough to need it, just remember they do get older and more independent.  Until then, you get rest time and after bed time :)

JadeTigr7
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I've never not had all my kids with me.  I honestly couldn't imagine sending them off every day for that long.  That'd be really hard on me.

I think you'll adjust easier than you think you will.

My husband is in the army, we just get our alone time after the kids go to sleep at night. 

Radiating2
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I have a 3 & 6 year old. Ive always had them at home with me yet I still feel like Im adjusting to the idea of us continuing this lifestyle for several years to come. I think its seeing a few of my friends start to get that 'freedom' thing (or at least thats how it appears when Im feeling sorry for myself) going on now that their children are in school. So far to be honest, not having personal space and time is the toughest part of hsing for me.

Im constantly reminding myself that in what will feel like the blink of an eye, they wont need me like this anymore.  Ill be saying, ' remember when I needed 'me' time? Now I dont know what to do with all the time and space I have." That thought alone in most cases can pull me away from feeling bad about stressful situations with the kiddos.

Then theres this gem,

"Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty...I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well"

~Theodore Roosevelt~ 

Good luck Momma!!

jesusseesme
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM

i have learned to take time for myself and play and teach the kids calmly. pray and find things that make you happy. having friends help. sing find a hobby to do with kids and keep the faith. good luck any time you want to talk i will.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)