Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Minecraft - Please fill me in ladies!

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM
  • 61 Replies

Minecraft items are popping up all over the place, and I just read about a local Minecraft homeschool group for children.  Lego has created Minecraft sets, and I even saw a Minecraft sword at one of the girly stores at the mall yesterday.  

The HS co-op recently advertised software to write your own mods, but I think I can use Minecraft Forge and teach the girls Java at the same time.  Software programming is fun! :)

Do any of you have Minecraft at home for your children to play?  What do you think?  Does it build strategy skills?

Thank you!

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

My boys Love Minecraft, but I got rid of it on the main computers as we kept getting virus' so the kids just play the PE (pocket edition) versions on the kindle & iPad. 

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Thanks Shannon!  That's good to know before I install anything.

Quoting KickButtMama:

My boys Love Minecraft, but I got rid of it on the main computers as we kept getting virus' so the kids just play the PE (pocket edition) versions on the kindle & iPad. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Yup, writing you won mods/skins is good, downloading them can be risky. We've even gone through the sites all our friends swear are clean downloads, but not so much. I also love Alice - from Columbia University. And Scratch from MIT, both are similar to Minecraft in the world building, and can also teach great programming skills.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Precious333
by Julia on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Following. My boys just got minecraft on their new mini ipads.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My sons love it!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids all love it.  And my husband loves that our kiddos come in and talk about smelting and such!  We only have the demo version, but now that you ladies mention the programming aspect of it, maybe we'll swing for the full version.  :)

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

my kids love it - 2 boys,1 girl. They can spend hours building crazy stuff - kind of like virtual legos. I don't even understand how to do a single thing in it or exactly what the point is, but I seem to believe what they are doing is very creative. Plus, they've figured out how to download mods (whatever that is), create their own skins and uplaod them, how to find cheats (which I gather is a way to get supplies - like you need food and tools), and they'vefigure dout how to set up an online server to play over the internet with their friends at different houses. Stuff like this makes me think "increased technology in school" is a waste of money and time since kids will learn that stuff amazingly quicly when they need/want to.

i will say, they can kill people and animals in the game. For example, you need to kill a cow or a chicken to eat or you'll die (or you could get chickens to lay eggs, etc) and there are these zombie things you can kill, and you can supposedly kill other characters (people playing) when you are playing over a server. But, you have unlimited lives so if someone kills you, you can go to the main menu and come back to life. But there is no blood, not realistic looking stuff. It's sort of like they hit something with the sword, and it just disappears, or if it's an animal, it just turns into meat that you cook and eat!

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Thanks!  Those both look really cool and interesting.  

That stinks on the downloads, especially when other people recommended them.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Yup, writing you won mods/skins is good, downloading them can be risky. We've even gone through the sites all our friends swear are clean downloads, but not so much. I also love Alice - from Columbia University. And Scratch from MIT, both are similar to Minecraft in the world building, and can also teach great programming skills.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting KickButtMama:

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Let me know what they think, just IF you get a chance Precious.  I know you're a tiny bit busy!

Quoting Precious333: Following. My boys just got minecraft on their new mini ipads.

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Thanks Mem!  It looks fun, and I love the ultra-stylin' Atari-looking graphics.

Quoting mem82:

My sons love it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN