Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Language Arts Curriculum Questions...

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hey Gals!

I have been absent recently. I'm sorry. Life has been crazy! In a good way though. Hubby left his job and came home to work full time. It has been great..but it has taken a lot of my free time. lol

Any who...to my questions

My oldest is in 2nd grade, but is more of an older 1st grader in regards to Launguage Arts skills. My second oldest is in Kindergarten (She is 6, but is about finished with 1s grade Math), but is in more of a 1st grade range for Language Arts skills.

I started my children out with Teach Your Child to Read In 100 Easy Lesson. Those of you who know me, know the struggle my oldest had learning to read and that Teach your child to read it what finally saved us.

After Teach your child to read I have worked with them on increasing reading skills. As well as writing, and spelling. We have worked with some sentence structure and are moving into Language Arts. I currently have Abeka Language Arts grade 1 (I have Grades 1-3 of this program). I do not have the entire curriculum just the teacher key and workbook. At this age I am not too concerned because I can tell from the workbook what the general idea is. For 1st it is covering everything from the alphabet, vowels, rhyming, sentence structure all the way up to writing paragraphs in the end.

Again I am still doing our own reading as well as Spelling. This Language book is covering a good bit of writing for each day, as well as Grammar skills.

I have a few other things that we do as well...journaling, copy work, and I just ordered some 'story sparkers' to add in as well.

My question is...Is this enough??

I may eventually switch to an all in one program (Phonics/spelling/language/etc), but for now this is what I am using and what is in the budget. I will be finishing out the year with this method.

Should I add in anything else? Change anything? Is it enough??

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're seeing progress, then I think what you have going is fine.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's totally enough. 

I think writing is like speaking and reading - it's all connected - babies learn to understand what they HEAR, then they learn to speak (express) for themselves. The next logical step in development is to understand what you READ, then learn to write (express) for themselves. I have a 1st and a 2nd grader. We do work a little on writing, but 90% of our language learning is having them read aloud to me or read alone. Seeing sentences and paragraphs will set them up for knowing how to organize their own thoughts that way when they are a little older.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jan. 4, 2014 at 9:19 PM
Thanks ladies. Right after I posted this, I messaged a friend(another HS mom) and she basically told me to chill out ...and that what I'm doing is fine.
Thanks again. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)