Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM
  • 13 Replies
2 moms liked this

Hello i'm a mommy very interested in homeschooling, however i wouldn't have the slightest clue where to start :/ 

My dd is 3 and I want to start her in homeschooling preschool, and maybe further on.

My questions, what are the benefits of homeschooling?

The cons?

How would a working mom go about honeschooling?

Advice for a newbie?

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DyslexiaParent
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM
2 moms liked this

SOOO MANY benefits.. Relatively few cons..

Check out this table: http://learningabledkids.com/home_school_info/deciding_to_home_school.htm

There's a group on Yahoo specifically for moms who work and homeschool.. You might want to find that group and join it.  There are ways to do it and the moms in that group would be able to give you good information.

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:21 PM
2 moms liked this

The comparative pros and cons info is geared towards parents who are considering homeschooling a child with learning disabilities, but the pros and cons are similar for most homeschooled kids.

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

Check out this table: http://learningabledkids.com/home_school_info/deciding_to_home_school.htm

There's a group on Yahoo specifically for moms who work and homeschool.. You might want to find that group and join it.  There are ways to do it and the moms in that group would be able to give you good information.

RenaissanceSoul
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanks a bunch for this!

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:20 PM
2 moms liked this
I love homeschooling. My kids learn at their own pace. They have more time together, though sometimes that is a con as well. They are able to do more exploring of the world since school takes less time for us as well.

Look up your state laws on homeschool would be my first step. For preschool all you need is some educational videos and toys. Learn through play and exploring the world. You can also look at Cullensabcs.com for a curriculum.
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group.  This is a wonderful group of moms, who are willing to help.

Why Home School discusses the pros

The cons:  Like anything, the first year or so is a  learning time for the educator.  It can be difficult, but gets easier and more and more fun as time goes by.

How To Home School

How To Home School The Pre-K 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Pros: You get to tailor your child's education to his strengths and weaknesses.  You get to foster a love of learning that can stay with your child throughout his entire life.  You get to spend both quality time and quantity time with your child.  When it is time for the "timely" discussions to occur, you'll be there!

Cons: You will spend a LOT of time with your child.  (Some people have a hard time with that).  Your child's eduation is entirely your responsibility.  (Even if you choose to have him take lessons outside the home, you will need to get him there.  You will need to pay for all of the curriculum, activities, and supplies you will need in most cases, since there are no subsidies for homeschooling that I know of.)

I'm not sure how a working mom does it, but I know there are many who do!!  (We run a business, and eventhough I do it, sometimes I'm not sure how! LOL)

My advice for preschool... if you want a curriculum, I suggest Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready by Oberland.  If you don't want a curriculum, Preschool is easy!  Read, Read, Read. and Play, Play, Play!  LOL.  As you read point out letters, play with rhyming, sing songs, put together puzzles, do mazes, stack colorful blocks.  Talk, Talk, Talk.  Tell him everything you are doing, all the time, as much as possible!  So a trip to the store would go:  "We need some fruit.  I know hoe much you like bananas so let's put some bananas in the cart.  Look at the price.  They are 49 cents a pound.  Let's take them to the scale and weigh them.  This bunch is 3 pounds, do you see the needle moved past the 1, and 2 and stopped on the three?......" There will be times you can't be that detailed, but keep up the dialogue anyway.  Bananas are yellow, they are fruits, they come from places that are very warm.  Etc.  Just keep talking and introducing colors, food groups, shapes, prices, weights, numbers, etc.

RenaissanceSoul
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this

wow thanks!! I will be checking this out tonight. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Pros: You get to tailor your child's education to his strengths and weaknesses.  You get to foster a love of learning that can stay with your child throughout his entire life.  You get to spend both quality time and quantity time with your child.  When it is time for the "timely" discussions to occur, you'll be there!

Cons: You will spend a LOT of time with your child.  (Some people have a hard time with that).  Your child's eduation is entirely your responsibility.  (Even if you choose to have him take lessons outside the home, you will need to get him there.  You will need to pay for all of the curriculum, activities, and supplies you will need in most cases, since there are no subsidies for homeschooling that I know of.)

I'm not sure how a working mom does it, but I know there are many who do!!  (We run a business, and eventhough I do it, sometimes I'm not sure how! LOL)

My advice for preschool... if you want a curriculum, I suggest Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready by Oberland.  If you don't want a curriculum, Preschool is easy!  Read, Read, Read. and Play, Play, Play!  LOL.  As you read point out letters, play with rhyming, sing songs, put together puzzles, do mazes, stack colorful blocks.  Talk, Talk, Talk.  Tell him everything you are doing, all the time, as much as possible!  So a trip to the store would go:  "We need some fruit.  I know hoe much you like bananas so let's put some bananas in the cart.  Look at the price.  They are 49 cents a pound.  Let's take them to the scale and weigh them.  This bunch is 3 pounds, do you see the needle moved past the 1, and 2 and stopped on the three?......" There will be times you can't be that detailed, but keep up the dialogue anyway.  Bananas are yellow, they are fruits, they come from places that are very warm.  Etc.  Just keep talking and introducing colors, food groups, shapes, prices, weights, numbers, etc.

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

This is our first year and I've watched my girls go from dreading school to loving it.  They absorb and retain more than they ever did before, and I love every minute of it.

Not really cons, but it's harder to get to the drywall and painting I was working on when they were in school.  It took time to research what curriculum we wanted to use.  When we first got rolling it took time to make lesson plans for the week, but now it probably takes me an hour.  I have to make sure to plan ahead for our science labs so I have materials on hand.

There are a few ladies here who work full time, and they'll be able to help in that area.

Your state's education site should have a link for home education (or some other fancier term).

Radiating2
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Those are some great links! Thanks!!

Quoting romacox:

Welcome to the group.  This is a wonderful group of moms, who are willing to help.

The cons:  Like anything, the first year or so is a  learning time for the educator.  It can be difficult, but gets easier and more and more fun as time goes by.

How To Home School

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM

You are most welcome. 

Quoting Radiating2:

Those are some great links! Thanks!!

Quoting romacox:

How To Home School

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)