Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Character Building?

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:00 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you follow a curriculum?  Make up your own?  Or just teach it by practicing it yourself?

In November I decided to change up what we were doing, we were trying to just read through the bible and discuss it.  It just wasn't working for my kids.  So in November I decided we would focus on gratitude and so we did copywork each day, from the bible, a passage about gratitude, and they worked on lists of what they were thankful for.  In December we continued with gratitude and I introduced the ten commandments (my kids are a bit older but this is our first year hsing and they haven't had any religion actually taught to them).

I think I'm going to continue by choosing a virtue or character trait and just searching for bible passages to copy and think of questions to ask.  But I am open to any other ideas.  I have found some curriculum, but we don't have a lot of extra money and I would rather stick with free things until I know what is working.

by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:23 PM
2 moms liked this

How I juggle both the mom and teacher hat; is to set a bit of time aside for "school" (basically the core subjects). Everything else is done under the mom hat; cooking, cleaning, etc. Of course the two bridge each other. In life they often use the skills they are learning during school time. Character skills is something that I think is likely being taught all the time. I have never used a curriculum for character building. However, I have chosen books and movies for us to watch. If you are religious; church and the book of your religion is also teaching them this. 

"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire." Education is BOTH the filling of a pail and the lighting of a fire. 

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

We talk about good manners, being kind to others, proud of themselves because they're good people, someone to look up to, etc.

I try to lead by example, but if I've done something I'm not proud of I tell them and we discuss that.  I think it's important for them to know I'm not perfect, but always trying to improve at least.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this
No curriculum. We take karate together. Lots of character building there. We have a lifeskill we work on each month. We are starting trustworthy. I find quotes and write them on the white board. We read stories that use our lifeskill of the month. I talk to them through out the day about our lifeskill. We make short term and long term goals. Every evening I write a list of things they need to do in the morning. It helps to stay focused and not forget what they are supposed to be doing. Every evening when we have worship we talk about what we read. Would love to find a curriculum for religion but most do not fit our religion. Also for their copy work we are copying the bible word for word.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Are you copying the entire bible?

I have my kids just do pieces. I'm just curious what others do. We are working on truthfulness and honesty starting tomorrow, so I find bible passages that fit that and they copy it and then answer a question or write about it, and we talk about it. I'm sure this one will come up a lot just in life as we seem to have some issues with being completely honest (mostly small lies to try to stay out of trouble...which just means more trouble really).

What kinds of things are on their morning lists? My kids have a general every day morning list for before school. And then they have schoolwork lists and I've decided to extend those lists to include chores so I don't have to remind all day..or come home to chores not done on days I have to work.

Quoting jen2150: No curriculum. We take karate together. Lots of character building there. We have a lifeskill we work on each month. We are starting trustworthy. I find quotes and write them on the white board. We read stories that use our lifeskill of the month. I talk to them through out the day about our lifeskill. We make short term and long term goals. Every evening I write a list of things they need to do in the morning. It helps to stay focused and not forget what they are supposed to be doing. Every evening when we have worship we talk about what we read. Would love to find a curriculum for religion but most do not fit our religion. Also for their copy work we are copying the bible word for word.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this
They are starting in Genesis and doing the first 5 books. They progress at their own pace. We are doing it together. I figure what things we need to accomplish. I have been trying to do a little each day. In the morning, they have to let out the chickens, eat, get dressed, empty out the dishwasher, and one other item.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Are you copying the entire bible?

I have my kids just do pieces. I'm just curious what others do. We are working on truthfulness and honesty starting tomorrow, so I find bible passages that fit that and they copy it and then answer a question or write about it, and we talk about it. I'm sure this one will come up a lot just in life as we seem to have some issues with being completely honest (mostly small lies to try to stay out of trouble...which just means more trouble really).

What kinds of things are on their morning lists? My kids have a general every day morning list for before school. And then they have schoolwork lists and I've decided to extend those lists to include chores so I don't have to remind all day..or come home to chores not done on days I have to work.

Quoting jen2150: No curriculum. We take karate together. Lots of character building there. We have a lifeskill we work on each month. We are starting trustworthy. I find quotes and write them on the white board. We read stories that use our lifeskill of the month. I talk to them through out the day about our lifeskill. We make short term and long term goals. Every evening I write a list of things they need to do in the morning. It helps to stay focused and not forget what they are supposed to be doing. Every evening when we have worship we talk about what we read. Would love to find a curriculum for religion but most do not fit our religion. Also for their copy work we are copying the bible word for word.
TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

My 6th grader & I were doing her health class today and it hit me that this is also a huge way we talk about character. This is an excellent book. I purchased it used from amazon. The ISBN is 978-0-03-096159-5.

The chapters include making good decisions, self esteem, body image, coping with conflict & stress, controlling disease, and of course tobacco & alcohol.

I LOVE the workbook. It's not boring in the slightest. Questions include: you go to your friend's house and her older sister is smoking cigarettes and offers one to you. What will your response be (guides the student through 6 steps to good decision making).

There are also questions that deal with cheating by taking a shortcut during a race, getting chided for using a seat belt, etc. They're the kind of things I ran into growing up and great conversation starters.
Bleacher-mom
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:01 AM

I found a website that you might like. Clicky It's completely free.

Perstephane92
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:07 AM
I've seen moms make a "fruit of the spirit" tree based on that particular bible passage. When one of their kids does something that goes against one of those virtues, they have to "pick" it from the tree and take a time out to think about it. When the do something that embodies a virtue, they get to pick it and are recognized for it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN