Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sightwords for a avid reader??

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 7:54 PM
  • 19 Replies

My son is a avid reader (but only in private he doesnt like to admit that he likes to read)

I just tested him on the Dolch sight words and he got nearly all of them (grade 3-5) I have writen down e one that he got wrong and we will be working on them, also got some vocab words to subjects that we are covering (space and mapping)

What other words can I get him to work on...any one have a older child (maybe grade 6-8) that I can get some words off of you??

For those that don't belive me...he reads "Magic Tree House" books and is starting on Hunger Games Catching Fire.

I just want to keep him his love for words and vocab.

by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:14 PM

How old is your son?

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:15 PM

That is awesome!! 

I don't have any words for you but I have a question if you don't mind me asking... Is he learning phonical rules? 

Your son sounds like one of those kids who learn how to read really well by osmosis (I did as well). So phonics will not mean a lot to him right now, but the rules really are important long term. 

"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire." Education is BOTH the filling of a pail and the lighting of a fire. 

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Quoting debramommyof4:

How old is your son?

he  is 8

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Quoting celtic77dragon:

That is awesome!! 

I don't have any words for you but I have a question if you don't mind me asking... Is he learning phonical rules? 

Your son sounds like one of those kids who learn how to read really well by osmosis (I did as well). So phonics will not mean a lot to him right now, but the rules really are important long term. 

I am working on that too, thankfully through a book since I am not that good at it myself.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Yeah, I had to use something to help solidify this as well. I couldn't have taught it on my own, lol. It sounds like your child is going to do fantastic with reading. I wish I had some sight words to offer. There should be some websites that are helpful, I just dont know any offhand. 

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting celtic77dragon:

That is awesome!! 

I am working on that too, thankfully through a book since I am not that good at it myself.

"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire." Education is BOTH the filling of a pail and the lighting of a fire. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:01 PM
I have never read Hunger Games. I only know about that from the movie which I just could not watch. Is the book as violent as the movie? Just wondering as I also have an 8 year old.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting debramommyof4:

How old is your son?

he  is 8

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Quoting debramommyof4: I have never read Hunger Games. I only know about that from the movie which I just could not watch. Is the book as violent as the movie? Just wondering as I also have an 8 year old.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting debramommyof4:

How old is your son?

he  is 8

I have read all of them, the book is a bit discriptive but my son has always been a "old soul" he gets things that other kids his own age don't get. He figures things out. (An example we learned about the Titanic he was about 4-5 and he pipped up "You know mom if they had filled the life boats all the way they would have been able to save a lot more people. But I know why they didnt send a boat to the people screaming in the water, they would just flip the resuce boat over, AND if I was the captain I would have kept going slower becuase its better to arrive late then not at all")

So if you are concered I would preread it, or even get it on CD because every kid is different.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 2:25 AM
I will just wait. I try and keep my advanced reader on more happy stuff and away from the dark stuff. We bought her, after she begged The School of Good Vs Evil.

I was concerned it would be to scary and sure enough she read two chapters and put it away. Her only rule was if it scares you or gives you nightmares you have to wait a year. At 8 she can read some 5th and 6th grade stuff but I hesitate to let her read some of the stuff I read at her age do to it being fairly dark.

I found Shadow children the other day! I loved that book but after rereading the cover I knew it would be to dark. I was excited about Enders Game and I can't wit for her to be ready to read that. But again I think it would be to dark for her.

We tried Artemus Fowl but I do not think she likes it.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting debramommyof4: I have never read Hunger Games. I only know about that from the movie which I just could not watch. Is the book as violent as the movie? Just wondering as I also have an 8 year old.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting debramommyof4:

How old is your son?

he  is 8

I have read all of them, the book is a bit discriptive but my son has always been a "old soul" he gets things that other kids his own age don't get. He figures things out. (An example we learned about the Titanic he was about 4-5 and he pipped up "You know mom if they had filled the life boats all the way they would have been able to save a lot more people. But I know why they didnt send a boat to the people screaming in the water, they would just flip the resuce boat over, AND if I was the captain I would have kept going slower becuase its better to arrive late then not at all")

So if you are concered I would preread it, or even get it on CD because every kid is different.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:28 AM

What about a word of the day.  I think you can sign up for one from dictionary.com or just use a dictionary to find new words and maybe put them on a piece of paper in a bag and have him draw a few each day.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:24 AM

He's 8 and starting on the Hunger games?? That's incredible!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN