Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm an Atheist Pagan and I chose 'What' curriculum?? LOL!

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:21 AM
  • 36 Replies

7yo dd is doing well in school but like a girl scout, I always like to be prepared.

Ever since her problems before break, I've been looking for a good curriculum for her. My daughter is a perfectionist. She likes everything laid out so she can complete each task, loves work books and prefers to work independently. Almost the complete opposite of my son,lol.

So I was looking around and I think I found something that seems like a good fit. It's called Christian Light Education. My dh laughed when I told him,lol. But religion aside, I really like how it's laid out. It has 10 work books per grade and subject, divided into lessons (easy on me) and uses a spiral approach. The best part is, I don't have to buy everything at once. I can order a few books at a time.

The only draw back, even though I don't have to order the bible section, is that it does have a lot of references to God and the bible in the stories. I'm still debating how to handle that one...

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tairakittie
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I dont know what I am going to do as the kids get older. DD will be 6 this year, DS will be 5, they are both zooming through Kinder level, so I have to start on more late Kinder, early 1st grade level stuff. Right now I just buy random workbooks and we do random projects and study random things BUT my kids will go through a whole small workbook in one day. They went through the entire Brain Quest Kinder level workbook yesterday together, finished the whole thing!! That was suppose to last me a couple months!! lol DS does a lot of computer play on Starfall and ABCYA.com, but I dont WANT him on the computer so much, he is just craving education and I just cant keep up! lol My two are into two completely different things, at different levels, like DD is great at writing her words and letters, but DS is better at reading and math. DD is into animals, babies, bugs and anatomy, DS is into... well, I never know WHAT he is going to want to learn from day to day! We arent religious at all and I want them to eventually learn about all kinds of different cultures and religions, some of the books we read mention God, but to my kids they just think of A god, like a superior being, not any specific God. One day recently DD told me she likes standing at the top of the tiny hill in our driveway and feel the wind on her because it makes her "feel like a God." All I could say was "oh really?" lol It made sense on a level I dont think she understood!!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this

LOL!  Seriously, I am laughing so hard, I'm crying!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Right? LOL! How in heck did this happen??

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM

That is an awesome problem to have with your kids! lol

Quoting tairakittie:

I dont know what I am going to do as the kids get older. DD will be 6 this year, DS will be 5, they are both zooming through Kinder level, so I have to start on more late Kinder, early 1st grade level stuff. Right now I just buy random workbooks and we do random projects and study random things BUT my kids will go through a whole small workbook in one day. They went through the entire Brain Quest Kinder level workbook yesterday together, finished the whole thing!! That was suppose to last me a couple months!! lol DS does a lot of computer play on Starfall and ABCYA.com, but I dont WANT him on the computer so much, he is just craving education and I just cant keep up! lol My two are into two completely different things, at different levels, like DD is great at writing her words and letters, but DS is better at reading and math. DD is into animals, babies, bugs and anatomy, DS is into... well, I never know WHAT he is going to want to learn from day to day! We arent religious at all and I want them to eventually learn about all kinds of different cultures and religions, some of the books we read mention God, but to my kids they just think of A god, like a superior being, not any specific God. One day recently DD told me she likes standing at the top of the tiny hill in our driveway and feel the wind on her because it makes her "feel like a God." All I could say was "oh really?" lol It made sense on a level I dont think she understood!!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I can see exactly how it happened, easy on you, good approach for DD.  But it's just funny as heck!  LOL

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Bahaha. I have a friend that has has issues finding non religious stuff. Hopefully you find something you like. You can always just 'sensor' it out as you read.
Jenn8604
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Most atheist moms on cm say they want their kids to explore all religions and choose their own. Get additional stuff for Hindu, Buddhism, Islam, and others. You can expose her to all and let her chose what she wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Yeah...lol, you know I'm just going to have to suck it up and keep it a secret from all my atheist friends ;-)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I can see exactly how it happened, easy on you, good approach for DD.  But it's just funny as heck!  LOL

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Hahahaha!  It's so funny that you have to hide your curriculum from your atheist friends while I have to hide my science curriculum from my Evangelical Christian friends!  

Quoting paganbaby:

Yeah...lol, you know I'm just going to have to suck it up and keep it a secret from all my atheist friends ;-)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

We are not religious and I use Apologia Science and LOVE it!  Each chapter does start and end with references to God and I pick and choose what I want to read to her. AND, I find myself actually liking some of the references to God!

My feeling is that Religion is like any other subject, we want her to be educated on it enough to hold conversations with others about it.  So regardless of what I/DH believe or do not believe I still want her to have some exposure.  Although limited given her age.

Heck, we took our kids to a Menorah lighting and saw Santa in the same night lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN