Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why and when did you decide to home school?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 7. He is brilliant. he HATES the demands of school. Its loud, chaotic, and the social piece is too much for him. 

How did you come to the decision to homeschool? 

How hard is it? 

This may sound bad... But how do you get a break from your kids when youre home with them ALL the time? 

I love the 6 hours my son is at school. Since he hates shopping, the gym, the mall, errands.. i do ALL that then. 

Forgive my ignorance in this subject, and Im hoping Im not offending anyone. 

I bought a house in one of the best school districts in NY. Im kinda sad he doesnt like it. 

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 2:47 PM
Replies (31-31):
LavenderMom23
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM

We started with public school, but it quickly went downhill when we were rezoned for a school that was aweful with kids with ADHD and ODD. They had her three years and couldn't teach her to read. Couldn't teach her to count to twenty. Couldn't teach her anything and then announced, let's just focus on her behavior. WITHOUT TEACHING SUBJECTS! I would not let my dd get a second rate education bc they didn't have one on one time for her even with her doctors writing recommendations etc. 

I pulled my other daughter out when bullying became a problem and they tried to say she just has ADHD instead. She showed zero signs of adhd at home! I wasn't going to medicate her for a bully problem.

Now I love it! It's actually easier to have them home all the time then to send them from public and try to reteach them manners after being in a rude environment all day. They behave better! go figure that public socialization actually made my kids behave worst! other kids are not role models. 

If I need a break and sometimes I do, I go out on a date and hire a sitter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)