Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

For those that consider K12 homeschooling please help!

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:04 PM
  • 13 Replies

My almost 5 year old may have some developmental delays. We go to the doctor on Friday to discus our concerns. My question is how to you mom's figure out the best way for your child to learn? It seems with my dd the only way she will learn is if it's through tv. I try educational computer games but if she has to learn controls or it seems too hard for her she shuts down and doesn't want to do it. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

For a five year old, we have almost no tv time or computer time.  I read, read, read to him.  We count with manipulatives and make patterns.  Everything is very concrete, right there in front of them.

I'm not sure how k12 factors in to this?  An almost 5yo is still considered preschool around here and there is no k12 program for them.  Am I missing something?

Honey_Comb
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM

No she hasn't started yet. She will start Kindergarten in the fall. My oldest daughter (who is 7) is with k12 and I plan on continuing the program with my 5yr old. Just wondering if there were ways to figure out the best way for her to not get frustrated when it takes some time to figure something out.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

For a five year old, we have almost no tv time or computer time.  I read, read, read to him.  We count with manipulatives and make patterns.  Everything is very concrete, right there in front of them.

I'm not sure how k12 factors in to this?  An almost 5yo is still considered preschool around here and there is no k12 program for them.  Am I missing something?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Oh cool.  Have you taken any of the online "tests" to determine her learning style?  Here's a pretty good one:

http://www.berghuis.co.nz/abiator/lsi/lsitest1.html

Some people do not agree with learning styles, but when you are starting out it can be good to begin teaching to go along with your child's learning style and then stretch her confort zone later.

Also some good calming techniques like yoga (yeah, it's not as hokey as you may think) or a focus bottle ( http://www.pinterest.com/pin/45458277459175354/ )

Quoting Honey_Comb:

No she hasn't started yet. She will start Kindergarten in the fall. My oldest daughter (who is 7) is with k12 and I plan on continuing the program with my 5yr old. Just wondering if there were ways to figure out the best way for her to not get frustrated when it takes some time to figure something out.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:30 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree about the tv and such at that age. We kept that very limited here; we read a lot and did montessori activities, crafts, simple science experiments, nature walks, etc.  

To Op - K12 is not likely a good fit for your child because it is so intensive. There is computer work, book work, projects...   Even at the K level, K12 can take longer than the half days that public schools generally do at that age. Hope this helps somewhat.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire." Education is BOTH the filling of a pail and the lighting of a fire. 

Honey_Comb
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 6:17 PM
My oldest daughter went through K with K12 last year and I had to use a lot of supplemental time because it didn't take us long enough. I know all kids are different and she may take longer. It will definitely be my first choice but not my only of course. Just want to make sure she learns the best way for her. Thanks for the help!

Quoting celtic77dragon:

I agree about the tv and such at that age. We kept that very limited here; we read a lot and did montessori activities, crafts, simple science experiments, nature walks, etc.  

To Op - K12 is not likely a good fit for your child because it is so intensive. There is computer work, book work, projects...   Even at the K level, K12 can take longer than the half days that public schools generally do at that age. Hope this helps somewhat.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Honey_Comb
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks so much for the info. I think I missed this reply yesterday!!! I will look them over for sure!!!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh cool.  Have you taken any of the online "tests" to determine her learning style?  Here's a pretty good one:

http://www.berghuis.co.nz/abiator/lsi/lsitest1.html

Some people do not agree with learning styles, but when you are starting out it can be good to begin teaching to go along with your child's learning style and then stretch her confort zone later.

Also some good calming techniques like yoga (yeah, it's not as hokey as you may think) or a focus bottle ( http://www.pinterest.com/pin/45458277459175354/ )

Quoting Honey_Comb:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

rmgriffberg
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest is almost 5 he has a sensory disorder that can affect his behavior. He loves screen time bit I try to limit that. He loves coloring so we color, we do workbook pages, use stickers, make crafts, etc.
Honey_Comb
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I have found recently that she loves to cut things out so I try and find worksheets online to print off for her for preK work. She is loving that. Hopefully we will come across more things that she enjoys doing that I can incorporate a lesson to!

Quoting rmgriffberg: My oldest is almost 5 he has a sensory disorder that can affect his behavior. He loves screen time bit I try to limit that. He loves coloring so we color, we do workbook pages, use stickers, make crafts, etc.

rmgriffberg
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Does she likd board games? You could make her lessons into boaard games. Or hide letters in sand and she has to find them and put them in order. Spelling/ writting letters and numbers in shaving cream

Quoting Honey_Comb:

I have found recently that she loves to cut things out so I try and find worksheets online to print off for her for preK work. She is loving that. Hopefully we will come across more things that she enjoys doing that I can incorporate a lesson to!

Quoting rmgriffberg: My oldest is almost 5 he has a sensory disorder that can affect his behavior. He loves screen time bit I try to limit that. He loves coloring so we color, we do workbook pages, use stickers, make crafts, etc.

Honey_Comb
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

She does love board games! Those are great ideas! Definitely will be trying some! She loves to learn! Thanks!!

Quoting rmgriffberg: Does she likd board games? You could make her lessons into boaard games. Or hide letters in sand and she has to find them and put them in order. Spelling/ writting letters and numbers in shaving cream

Quoting Honey_Comb:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)