Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Organizing / workbox in small space

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:42 AM
  • 9 Replies

We have no extra space at my house. 3 bedrooms 2 baths small wrap around open kitchen/living/dining (in like a u shape). We have 2 children so in the past we have just bunked the kids in the same room (still do) and used the 3rd room for school. We are however also a foster family and that room has to be left open (even if we have no children at the time) for a foster child to have if they should come whenever. I want to use the workbox idea but I am really having a hard time with figuring out where to put everything. I would love ideas! Also do you put up posters/ calenders/ art work ect... on walls and if so do you just take down any decor that was up before? Thanks!

one more thing... any good ideas on a planner?

Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action.  
Benjamin Disraeli

by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bleacher-mom
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 2:46 AM

We have what I call my "Wall 'O' School" in the kitchen. It is literally stuffed full from floor to ceiling. The very top has 4 totes that has craft supplies, playdough and other things that we don't use very often. The next level is lined with books; cook books and even english text books my mother has picked up at garage sales. We have a few different levels that contains construction paper, 2 little 3 drawer tote things that we keep pencils, markers, rulers, stickers, tape, scissors, etc. Next to those is the kids' own shelves that hold their work books and notebooks that we use every day. Below that is puzzles and several other things that I don't quite remember. Below that are 2 big three drawer storage. They each have their own drawer that has their coloring books and colors, then the rest are full of crayons, markers, paint, bubbles, and other craft supplies. Yep, it's pretty full and a big eye sore, but it works for us. We don't have a room or a specific area that we do our work. We usually do their work books on my bed since it's comfortable and any crafts at the kitchen table so it will be easier to clean up.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 7:09 AM
celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I also do not have an extra room that I would want to use as a "school room" - nor did my kids want one. They don't mind homeschooling, but they have friends that come over and don't want to feel weird about it. So we try to keep things discreet. 

I have a huge bookcase in my bedroom along with a desk and printer.

In the dining room, I have a bookcase with just few frequently used items on it (a long hanging plant covers much of it though) and I have storage unit that has baskets in it for them to keep homeschool materials downstairs - the kids each have three baskets: 1) they have a binder for every subject 2) supplies (pencils, paper, etc) 3) misc books that they want to keep handy downstairs in their basket

Then, in the living room, we have a chalkboard and art easel.  

I don't hang educational stuff up on the walls. I just bring the posters out as needed and sit them up on the art easel or what not. However, I do have a large framed map of the world up in the living room - but it looks more art deco than anything. It was made by a local artist that used music sheet paper for the land masses. I have framed images of "The Hobbit" and "The Little Prince" book pages. I tried to make it look "school" while also not being obvious about it.

I have pictures of all this on my profile page - in the photo albums.

This is just what has worked in our house.

"Education should be exercise; it has become massage."  ~Martin H. Fischer

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM
What about those accordian style folders? They can be cardboard, plastic, etc.. so you can buy something pretty durable. They have several pockets. For larger supplies, keep a small crate and just put a card with instructions in the pocket.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM
Side note..we have a long skinny living room. I used a sectional to split the room..put some cheap build it outta the box pantries with doors behind the couch. As well as a small table with two chairs. I have four kids and its nice to have the second table for quiet space. Everything else is done at the dining table.

Basically I'm using a quarter of the room as a homeschool spot.
LilliesValley
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM
We have a similar set up especially with a baby I can't ever gurantee I'll be in one spot consistently. The bulk of our stuff is in the kitchen. We have a nine hole cubby cube shelf storage thing thst those canvas totes fit in. We have another but no room until our puppy stops chewing my chairs at night because his cage is in the wsy. We got them on black Friday for $20. Some cubes have dd art stuff, and some are hs supplies and books. I have the Saxon math manipulatives box on too along with binders for each subject. We have a younger child and eventually I will use the workbooks and books for her so I copy everything. Our laptop is by my recliner in the living room and oyr printer is in our bedroom. We bought a dry erase board this weekend but since we move fromkkitchen to living room frequently I haven't decided where to put it yet. I honestly don't know if a lot of kids would do well stuck in a small room at home.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

I also do not have an extra room that I would want to use as a "school room" - nor did my kids want one. They don't mind homeschooling, but they have friends that come over and don't want to feel weird about it. So we try to keep things discreet. 

In the dining room, I have a bookcase with just few frequently used items on it (a long hanging plant covers much of it though) and I have storage unit that has baskets in it for them to keep homeschool materials downstairs - the kids each have three baskets: 1) they have a binder for every subject 2) supplies (pencils, paper, etc) 3) misc books that they want to keep handy downstairs in their basket

I don't hang educational stuff up on the walls. I just bring the posters out as needed and sit them up on the art easel or what not. However, I do have a large framed map of the world up in the living room - but it looks more art deco than anything. It was made by a local artist that used music sheet paper for the land masses. I have framed images of "The Hobbit" and "The Little Prince" book pages. I tried to make it look "school" while also not being obvious about it.

takes_a_village
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Most of our friends homeschool so having the stuff out is not odd for my kids. We already pin up all kinds of educational posters and what not (someone once told me Einstein had the pages of a math book pasted to his walls as a child and I ran with it lol) so that's not really my worry. I am however really really into structure for my oldest child because he breaks down without it. Not really sure yet how to get it all in... we have 10 subjects and our kids are 6 and 9.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action.  
Benjamin Disraeli

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds like a good deal.

We don't stay in any one part of the house either (sometimes we arent in the house at all). So I like to keep things flexible as well. Even the chalkboard has wheels and can be dragged to the dining room. Oh, and laptops are a must here (portability). 

Quoting LilliesValley: We have a similar set up especially with a baby I can't ever gurantee I'll be in one spot consistently. The bulk of our stuff is in the kitchen. We have a nine hole cubby cube shelf storage thing thst those canvas totes fit in. We have another but no room until our puppy stops chewing my chairs at night because his cage is in the wsy. We got them on black Friday for $20. Some cubes have dd art stuff, and some are hs supplies and books. I have the Saxon math manipulatives box on too along with binders for each subject. We have a younger child and eventually I will use the workbooks and books for her so I copy everything. Our laptop is by my recliner in the living room and oyr printer is in our bedroom. We bought a dry erase board this weekend but since we move fromkkitchen to living room frequently I haven't decided where to put it yet. I honestly don't know if a lot of kids would do well stuck in a small room at home.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM

There seems to be a decent sized homeschooling community around here, but we don't know too many of them.

My kids prefer structure when it comes to the schedule and covering the materials, so I can relate to that.

Quoting takes_a_village:

Most of our friends homeschool so having the stuff out is not odd for my kids. We already pin up all kinds of educational posters and what not (someone once told me Einstein had the pages of a math book pasted to his walls as a child and I ran with it lol) so that's not really my worry. I am however really really into structure for my oldest child because he breaks down without it. Not really sure yet how to get it all in... we have 10 subjects and our kids are 6 and 9.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN