Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Historical movies?

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM
  • 11 Replies

I see a lot of lists on the webernets of historical movies, but most of them are not appropriate for children (Gladiator, etc) or the lists are very outdated. I wondered if any of you moms have used any historical films to teach about a period of history? 

I am not opposed to PG or PG13 but would have to pre-watch them and possibly fast forward through parts. My kids watched Titanic a couple of years ago when we studied that, but I fast forwarded through a few parts. :) 

So - anything you've used this year or recently that comes to mind?

by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

We like Liberty's Kids.  We also have a documentary series on going to the moon (When We Left Earth?) that we're doing right now.  I don't know that I would really go with movie movies, my kids are very sensitive to the violence.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM

We like Johny Tremain.  It very tame.  I believe it is a Disney one.  

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Oh right! We watched that two years ago when we were reading that book. The 1950s hairstyles were so funny (and not at all period appropriate) but it was a good adaptation!

Quoting jen2150:

We also enjoyed The Balld of Lucy Whipple (on Netflix, and clean) when studying US pioneer era.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:03 PM

I think Schindler's List is great for older children when learning about the Holocaust but that is the only movie that comes to mind right now! I will be back if I think of more for younger children.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I found this.

http://lechaimontheright.blogspot.com/2013/06/historical-movies-for-children-ages-6-12.html

For ages 6-12

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:36 PM

We used this movie in conjunction with the original sound of music. 

Does Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure count? Lol

Quoting usmom3:

I think Schindler's List is great for older children when learning about the Holocaust but that is the only movie that comes to mind right now! I will be back if I think of more for younger children.

deadlights86
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:44 PM
I watched The Patriot in the 8th grade. Even the part where the guy got his head blown off by a cannon.
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

http://lechaimontheright.blogspot.com/2013/06/historical-movies-for-children-ages-6-12.html

for all those that need it to be clickie.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I found this.

For ages 6-12

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Awhile back, I saw that a homeschooling mom made a list of educational Netflix movies. I don't have the link saved so I am of no help at all. Sorry.

We recently watched Kon Tiki. The kids and I liked it. Not only was it based on a true story - but it showed the importance of exploring knowledge beyond the textbooks.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I just finished that book yesterday! Now dd is reading it. I didn't know they made a movie, I'll have to find it.

Quoting hipmomto3:

Oh right! We watched that two years ago when we were reading that book. The 1950s hairstyles were so funny (and not at all period appropriate) but it was a good adaptation!

Quoting jen2150:

We also enjoyed The Balld of Lucy Whipple (on Netflix, and clean) when studying US pioneer era.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN