Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What have you learned from being a mom and a teacher thus far - what would you tell your younger newbie self as a mother/homeschooler, if you could? Is there anything that your younger self would remind you of now?

girl giving flower

"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire." Education is BOTH the filling of a pail and the lighting of a fire. 

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:54 AM
Replies (11-11):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL!  Every homeschooler I know has a different kind of schedule!  But we all tried to start like public school with lunch breaks and gym time and what have you.  So you are probably right, it's about being raised in the public/private schools.  I know that the psers that I know cannot fathom our schedule and some think I am failing my kids because "how will they ever learn how to sit for 8 hours?"  

Quoting KickButtMama:

Heck I was never a teacher, and I still tried to jump right in to an 8-3 schedule....with a 4 y/o.....epic fail! Lol. I think those of us raised in the public/private school system can't imagine 'school' in any other way. But it doesn't surprise me how many homeschoolers, by the 2nd or 3rd year have completely relaxed into whatever wonky schedule works at their house..lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

As a new mom, I was coming out of a teaching job.  I tried to follow a rigid schedule.  Specific nap times and the whole deal.  Then we spent a whole year living in a camper and building a house.  So I would tell me to enjoy it more.  Forget about stressing over the time schedules.  Enjoy the loooooong time it takes to cook over a campfire and enjoy the babes because before ya know it there are 3 running around.

For school, I would tell me not to sweat the laws so much.  The first year I gave myself an ulcer!  I was terrified by the evaluator and all of the horror stories.  I would remind me that I had been a teacher and I could argue down any complaints the evaluator had anyway.  And I would tell myself NOT to cave in and use k12 the second year.  It caused far more problems than it solved.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN