Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Aventa or BYU?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM
  • 9 Replies

Has anyone used either of these? If so, what did you think?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KickButtMama
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Sorry I'm unfamiliar with them

RheaF
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:21 AM
BYU, as in Brigham Young University?
Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:31 AM

They have an online program for middle and high school as well as college courses. 

Quoting RheaF: BYU, as in Brigham Young University?

RheaF
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Got ya. I have seen it online, but never looked into since we are no longer LDS. I have considered getting info for the other for when my kids are middle/high school grades, but I don't know much about it. Sorry. I hope you can get some recommendations though.

Quoting Pukalani79:

They have an online program for middle and high school as well as college courses. 

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:14 PM

We're not LDS either.  The charter school my kids go to offers these two options for high school and I'm looking ahead trying to figure out which might be best for the kids.  Through the charter school, only the secular classes are offered.

Quoting RheaF: Got ya. I have seen it online, but never looked into since we are no longer LDS. I have considered getting info for the other for when my kids are middle/high school grades, but I don't know much about it. Sorry. I hope you can get some recommendations though.

Quoting Pukalani79:

RheaF
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:30 PM
As a personal choice, we would rather stay away from it though. Do you have to use those two, or could you use another distance learning program?

Quoting Pukalani79:

We're not LDS either.  The charter school my kids go to offers these two options for high school and I'm looking ahead trying to figure out which might be best for the kids.  Through the charter school, only the secular classes are offered.

Quoting RheaF: Got ya. I have seen it online, but never looked into since we are no longer LDS. I have considered getting info for the other for when my kids are middle/high school grades, but I don't know much about it. Sorry. I hope you can get some recommendations though.

Quoting Pukalani79:

RheaF
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Not trying to imply that there is anything wrong with BYU. Sorry if it came across that way.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:08 PM
I haven't used either program but if either were to be aligned the Common Core standards, them I wouldn't use them at all anyway. I use nothing with CC in it.
Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM

No, I understand. Honestly that was my first reaction as well.  Aventa is part of the K12 program, from what I understand.  These are the only two options I have for high school through the charter school. With Jr. High I also have the choice of keeping him in Oak Meadow, but I'm not 100% sure that that's the best way to prep him for high school. My son is in 6th grade, but we were looking at options for next year and then trying to get an idea for down the road. 

Quoting RheaF: Not trying to imply that there is anything wrong with BYU. Sorry if it came across that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)