Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Aren't they too young?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:48 PM
  • 18 Replies
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

So I went to a teacher supply store here to get some flash cards and some stuff to start teaching the kids about our city and state (Mobile, AL). I found an awesome poster of our state with the big cities in bold, with images of our biggest land marks, rivers, and lakes, and a map key that depicts all the major goods produced in our state. I also got a pair of coloring books about Alabama.
As I am checking out, the lady asks me how old they are, and I tell her that they are just over four and a half. She gets this look and I can see it coming. "Aren't they too young for this." Keep in mind the store is run by retired teachers. They sell only common core curriculum, and i guess any deviation from said core is wrong. I tried to explain that they are very intelligent and that the subject matter was fine, but she just insisted I was wrong and that they were going to suffer academically.
It just made me so mad. So today we did our first lesson on Alabama. We learned today about the four big cities (mobile, Montgomery, Huntsville, and Birmingham). We talked about landmarks like the battleship (we live about 15 minutes from it, so we are going to visit it in a couple of weeks), Mt. Cheaha (highest point in Al), the Univ of AL (roll tide y'all!). We pointed out where family lives, where we live, and so on. They can now point out Mobile, Tuscaloosa, Daphne, Montgomery, Anniston (Mt Cheaha), and Birmingham and tell me a little fact about them. Like daphne is where their grandad lives. They understood the map key, and could point out lakes and rivers. But this was the BEST part. As a treat I busted out a brand new set of markers for doing so well today. Ayden drew the picture i have posted and handed it to me saying "mama I made the Alabama flag!" And Kathryne is teaching her Barbies about cotton (they almost didn't believe me when I said cotton clothing was made from a plant...we will be visiting a cotton farm up the road once the next crop starts coming in). Having to resist going up to that store and doing the I told you so dance.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh, please do the I told you so dance!! LOL. And video it and their reactions when your children exceed public school expectations! Good job mom, on knowing your own children well enough to know when to push and when to pull back. It sounds like a fun state study, and I wish I had started that early with our state study.

celtic77dragon
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

AWESOME!

usmom3
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Children learn things amazingly well no matter the age as long as the material is presented in a way that they find interesting & fun!

katzmeow726
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:10 PM
2 moms liked this
I seriously want to...but I am gonna behave this time.

This time, mind you. Next time, you just never know muhahaha

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Oh, please do the I told you so dance!! LOL. And video it and their reactions when your children exceed public school expectations! Good job mom, on knowing your own children well enough to know when to push and when to pull back. It sounds like a fun state study, and I wish I had started that early with our state study.

katzmeow726
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Trying to post a pic of the poster..
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Eek! Are you telling me.they learned at their tender age of 4 and a half!!???? OMG! *said sarcastically*

Well DUH! Of course they did! Their smart, intransigent and oh yeah,.look at their mama! :)

Great job mom! :)
katzmeow726
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Okay gonna try again to post. This is the Alabama poster i got.
katzmeow726
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Why thank you! And yes, I do believe their fragile minds survived the lesson well. Lol!

Quoting kirbymom: Eek! Are you telling me.they learned at their tender age of 4 and a half!!???? OMG! *said sarcastically*

Well DUH! Of course they did! Their smart, intransigent and oh yeah,.look at their mama! :)

Great job mom! :)
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:19 PM
2 moms liked this
No! Don't behave yourself, this time. Show 'em just how right you are about your children's capabilities. Maybe they'll pass the word along about how children are smarter than given credit for.

Quoting katzmeow726: I seriously want to...but I am gonna behave this time.

This time, mind you. Next time, you just never know muhahaha

Quoting Leissaintexas:

bluerooffarm
by Group Admin on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this

That is awesome, momma!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)