Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ok,I fully admit I'm a terrible homeschooler when it comes to art. But we do crafts! Lol. My question is - how do you teach art? Art history? The masters? Or just let the creative juices flow?

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:27 AM
We have not. I have them do crafts with science, history and lit. But I just do not have time yet to do art. Though I want to. They do that at co-op when it is offered.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Yes! I've done this - art tied into history, like learning about the Egyptians, we did sand art. I wish we had a local art college that offered cheap classes to homeschoolers...jealous!

Quoting celtic77dragon:

My kids LOVE art, but I don't really know anything about teaching it. I assume there is usually a rhyme and reason; an order to a teachers curriculum. I have some art books and found amazing stuff on Pinterest. I choose activities for them to do each semester. I have different reasons for choosing what I do.

Because the kids love art so much, I also have the kids in an art class at the local art college. It is just a fun cheap thing that they offer to homeschoolers. They teach techniques and even tie history and science into it.

Now what was important to me, was to tie art into our history. While studying a time period, we also study the artists and their work (archaeology, art, music, etc).  

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Lol, I was planning on putting them in an art class at our co-op this coming semester, but the teacher just emailed me that she doesn't want to teach art again this semester...grrr..lollol

Quoting debramommyof4: We have not. I have them do crafts with science, history and lit. But I just do not have time yet to do art. Though I want to. They do that at co-op when it is offered.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM

My youngest likes to paint so we got him a nice wooden paint set with good quality brushes and paper. But I'm the anti-artist, my hands shake so even my stick figures are bad! What apps do you use? 

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

My daughter likes to draw so we have apps on the kindle that show step by step. 

We also use this site

http://www.dragoart.com/

We buy high quality colored pencils (crayola sucks) and sketching paper.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Lol, I have terrible stick figures. Ct doesn't require it either, and we do a ton of crafting since I own a crafting (doily and jewelry making) business - and the kids love selling their stuff (they are such mercenaries!) but I don't know what to do with traditional art. ;(

Quoting Mommynay2: RI doesn't require you to teach it, Destinay has no interest in it, and my best pictures are stick figures so I don't teach it.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:43 AM

See I'm the opposite. We have yet to do a formal art class. Now that my eldest is going to be 13 and I know he'll have to take an art history in college, I thought I should look into it. I do like drafting though, does that count? Lol I'm so anal.

Quoting No_Difference:

I gave up on it. We tried Atelier (sp?) last year, and it flopped. Jamie hated watching the videos, and so did I. She felt the art assignments were too cheesy too, and never really tried to do them. This year we tried Artistic Pursuits, and I think it was too technical for her, and she really did not care for the art history at all, and it became a pain in the butt again... I mostly quit with it this year because she would draw something, and get frustrated that it wasn't turning out how she wanted it to, so I would give her advice on how to get it to do what she wanted, and it turned into a total melt down. She would ball up the paper, scribble over it...even jumped on it one time... So I quit. I gave her all the stuff she'll need to learn about art, and said if she really wanted to learn more about it, she could learn on her own. I wasn't dealing with that anymore.

Next year, will be my last year at attempting a "formal" art class, and we're going to try and use something from Mark Kistler. I'm hoping that maybe the cartoon world will suit her better. If that flops, all I can say is I tried, and as much as she wants to be an artist, she's on her own.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do for my little guy yet. I'm a little afraid to try with him after all this terrible with Jamie.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Aww,I want a cheat class too! Lol

Quoting jen2150: I cheat. They take a weekly art class. They use different mediums and learn art history. We also do art at home. I find books on art and we watch videos. This year we are also using art to teach math. We are learning about architecture as well. I can read upon on art history but teaching drawing is beyond my scope. The lovely thing about homeschooling is I don't have to be good at everything.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Where is that, Ohio?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I use this 3rd grade Art Express that I bought super cheap on eBay.  It's older (1998) but covers all the things I wouldn't think of off the top of my head (arches, textures, shadowing, musical inspirations, etc.).

The lessons are short but include paintings from the masters, and most of those are American artists, which I like:

We also do art just for fun with our history.  Here are some cave paintings from the start of the year:

We studied Ancient Sumer yesterday and the girls made their own Sumerian Cuneiform:

I need to take them back to the Dayton Art Museum.  It was rated as one of the top ten family-friendly art museums in the nation by Family Magazine.  They have a whole room that's full of pictures, puzzles, art supplies, etc., for children to interact with.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Wow, the complete opposite of our house! Lol...the closest thing to art I can do is blueprints or drafting. But I can craft like nobodies business! Lol. My youngest would Love to be at you house. *slinking away, head down in shame*

Quoting hipmomto3:

Art is probably in our top 3 most easily taught subject at our house. :) My husband has a master's degree in art. He is really good at the DOING, and I have been fascinated by studying the lives and works of artists since high school, especially female artists, so we have a lot of books and prints in our home. 

I teach the kids about various artists (sometimes ties into what we are studying in history - such as Michelangelo), where we learn about their lives, look at some works, and then try to create one in the same style.

They also take an art class once a week where they learn about techniques. Last time they learned about Seurat, then created a pointillism painting, and we were able to visit Chicago and see a Seurat in person around the same time. 

In the summer, they attend an art camp at a local art studio, where they learn techniques, use the pottery wheel, etc. 

PurpleCupcake
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM

It on our kindle. They are free. It's the "how to draw..." series.

One app for monsters, another for fairies and so on. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

My youngest likes to paint so we got him a nice wooden paint set with good quality brushes and paper. But I'm the anti-artist, my hands shake so even my stick figures are bad! What apps do you use? 

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

My daughter likes to draw so we have apps on the kindle that show step by step. 

We also use this site

http://www.dragoart.com/

We buy high quality colored pencils (crayola sucks) and sketching paper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)