Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ok,I fully admit I'm a terrible homeschooler when it comes to art. But we do crafts! Lol. My question is - how do you teach art? Art history? The masters? Or just let the creative juices flow?

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Replies (21-30):
TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Yep. The Cincinnati Art Museum has a neat scavenger hunt for children but the staff weren't as friendly when we were there.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Where is that, Ohio?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I use this 3rd grade Art Express that I bought super cheap on eBay.  It's older (1998) but covers all the things I wouldn't think of off the top of my head (arches, textures, shadowing, musical inspirations, etc.).

The lessons are short but include paintings from the masters, and most of those are American artists, which I like:

We also do art just for fun with our history.  Here are some cave paintings from the start of the year:

We studied Ancient Sumer yesterday and the girls made their own Sumerian Cuneiform:

I need to take them back to the Dayton Art Museum.  It was rated as one of the top ten family-friendly art museums in the nation by Family Magazine.  They have a whole room that's full of pictures, puzzles, art supplies, etc., for children to interact with.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM
I hatw 'teaching' about art..but we love learning to do art. lol so for now we do not learning 'about' art. ..we learn how to do art. Does that make sense?
We have and use a lot of how to draw and how to paint books and videos..as well as arts supplies and crafts supplies and kits coming out of our ears.
When they get older we will learn about artist and things..but for now..we are the artists. :)
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

We just let the creative juices flow! My kids are constantly making things. We talk about artiest, their work & the styles of art they used. You would be amazed at how some of those conversations come about!  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I just ordered MP's kindergarten art cards (they have grade level card packages through, I think, grade 3?) for art appreciation/memory work. Otherwise, we do crafts at this age. Next year I'll order Seton's "Art 1 for Young Catholics", which looks like some mlld art application/crafts, and I'll order MP's first grade art cards.

I'm lazy with art too. I'm not an artistic person :P

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:30 PM

We do crafts and I call it good. LOL

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Art is whenever they want to learn. Which is about half the time. We learn together. Hubby does the most teaching of art as he is really good. He even teaches life sized paper mache objects.

undefined

Jilectan
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I don't really teach it. My son, for the most part, hates it and doesn't want to draw much. He did do a cover for a story he wrote recently, though.

My older daughter is big into art. I've been getting her some step by step things for drawing pokemon, lately. We might do My Little Pony, too, because she's really into that show, too. She likes to use clay, too, so I'm not sure how to approach that one.

My youngest is 4 and kind of a perfectionist, so I'm having a hard time getting her to even try drawing or coloring. If it's not done exactly how she thinks it should be, she gets upset and scribbles over everything and runs out crying. That makes life interesting.

arctophile
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 4:10 PM

My DH is actually an art teacher in public school as well as a producing artist so I leave art lessons to him for the most part.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Ack! My personal nemesis is paper mâché....it HATES me! I can't even conceive of doing something that large in it! Eep!

Quoting kirbymom: Art is whenever they want to learn. Which is about half the time. We learn together. Hubby does the most teaching of art as he is really good. He even teaches life sized paper mache objects.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

J. E. A. L. O. U. S. My DH is in HVAC so if my kids want to learn to rebuild a furnace he can show them...lol but that's about it...

Quoting arctophile:

My DH is actually an art teacher in public school as well as a producing artist so I leave art lessons to him for the most part.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)