Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ok,I fully admit I'm a terrible homeschooler when it comes to art. But we do crafts! Lol. My question is - how do you teach art? Art history? The masters? Or just let the creative juices flow?

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Replies (31-40):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My youngest (9) is a perfectionist, so he has a really hard time with drawing because he gets so frustrated. Same as me, ;) 

my boys are major Pokemon fans. So much so that I've been tasked with designing plushies of their favorite characters like Pikachu

Quoting Jilectan:

I don't really teach it. My son, for the most part, hates it and doesn't want to draw much. He did do a cover for a story he wrote recently, though.

My older daughter is big into art. I've been getting her some step by step things for drawing pokemon, lately. We might do My Little Pony, too, because she's really into that show, too. She likes to use clay, too, so I'm not sure how to approach that one.

My youngest is 4 and kind of a perfectionist, so I'm having a hard time getting her to even try drawing or coloring. If it's not done exactly how she thinks it should be, she gets upset and scribbles over everything and runs out crying. That makes life interesting.

wowguildmomma
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:55 PM

We do art history and art inspired by the works for the most part. 

Precious333
by Julia on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:05 PM
I love the book "discoveting great artists". It gives a brief biography on a famous artist and has an.art project any age can do complimenting they style and technique that famous artist used.
SarahNElijah
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:56 PM
We take homeschool classes at the Dallas Museum of Art twice a month, and then do a lot of crafts with our schooling..

My son really handles art on his own though, as he wakes up almost every morning and draws first thing!! He is actually really amazing! He is definitely looking at a career that includes art (car design, graphic design, etc.) :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:06 AM

I farm it out to my mom who is a working artist and has a master's degree, LOL. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I so badly want to do a formal art class, but I can't stand the constant melt downs :(
Drafting might count!! My highschool's art department had a drafting class, but it also crossed over to the shop wing :/ . I'd call it working lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

See I'm the opposite. We have yet to do a formal art class. Now that my eldest is going to be 13 and I know he'll have to take an art history in college, I thought I should look into it. I do like drafting though, does that count? Lol I'm so anal.

Quoting No_Difference:

I gave up on it. We tried Atelier (sp?) last year, and it flopped. Jamie hated watching the videos, and so did I. She felt the art assignments were too cheesy too, and never really tried to do them. This year we tried Artistic Pursuits, and I think it was too technical for her, and she really did not care for the art history at all, and it became a pain in the butt again... I mostly quit with it this year because she would draw something, and get frustrated that it wasn't turning out how she wanted it to, so I would give her advice on how to get it to do what she wanted, and it turned into a total melt down. She would ball up the paper, scribble over it...even jumped on it one time... So I quit. I gave her all the stuff she'll need to learn about art, and said if she really wanted to learn more about it, she could learn on her own. I wasn't dealing with that anymore.

Next year, will be my last year at attempting a "formal" art class, and we're going to try and use something from Mark Kistler. I'm hoping that maybe the cartoon world will suit her better. If that flops, all I can say is I tried, and as much as she wants to be an artist, she's on her own.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do for my little guy yet. I'm a little afraid to try with him after all this terrible with Jamie.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Chillisarah
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:45 AM

We do a lot of arts and crafts, drawings, and paintings.  I get a lot of the ideas from things I saw online but recently I found a website for art educators that share lesson plans for art and I love this site.  I want to use some of these ideas http://www.incredibleart.org/.  I also know that some trips to an art museum are in the near future for us.

MamaDearie
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Me too! I am horrible about art and music! We are a crafty family and we listen to and sing along with a lot of music but as a formalized curriculum- yep- I suck.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Lol, glad I'm not alone! Hehehe

Quoting MamaDearie:

Me too! I am horrible about art and music! We are a crafty family and we listen to and sing along with a lot of music but as a formalized curriculum- yep- I suck.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

Quoting Chillisarah:

We do a lot of arts and crafts, drawings, and paintings.  I get a lot of the ideas from things I saw online but recently I found a website for art educators that share lesson plans for art and I love this site.  I want to use some of these ideas http://www.incredibleart.org/.  I also know that some trips to an art museum are in the near future for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN