Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ok,I fully admit I'm a terrible homeschooler when it comes to art. But we do crafts! Lol. My question is - how do you teach art? Art history? The masters? Or just let the creative juices flow?

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Replies (41-50):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Jealous!

Quoting JKronrod:

I farm it out to my mom who is a working artist and has a master's degree, LOL. 

TRAVELMOM817
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:56 PM
Google .. Meet the masters. An amazing program that goes from pre k or k to the 5
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:08 AM
Its not a priority in this house. Ive lived 40 years not knowing anything about art or art history and ive never suffered lol. To me, this is a college course, not meant for the average elementary kid.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Thanks I'll look into it!

Quoting TRAVELMOM817: Google .. Meet the masters. An amazing program that goes from pre k or k to the 5

almburr
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:25 AM
I'm not a homeschooler, so please don't bash. Lol!

Our school no longer has an art department due to budget cuts years ago. So I have taken that on myself for my kids.

Art history- art museums, books,
Hands on- how to draw comics, sketching, photography, painting, molding, flower art.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM

We wouldn't bash, don't worry! 

I know with budget cuts more and more public school families are supplementing at home. I think I should get my kids a camera, I know they would LOVE to learn photography...but I take the worst pictures ever...lol.

Quoting almburr: I'm not a homeschooler, so please don't bash. Lol!

Our school no longer has an art department due to budget cuts years ago. So I have taken that on myself for my kids.

Art history- art museums, books,
Hands on- how to draw comics, sketching, photography, painting, molding, flower art.

Kazmira222
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM
I am actually an artist myself but I've never really had to teach it haha I will most likely just do what I remember doing growing up. Plus finding things on Pinterest is always really fun. Just simply having them look at things to draw or having step by step instructions on how to make things. I don't really think you can't teach anybody how to do art because everyone will do it differently. That's why it's art :)
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I just let the kids do what they want there,lol.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I will admit that I am not good with teaching art.  At co-op, ds took a painting class.  He learned about mixing primary colors to make different colors, different painting techniques, and some artists.  Ds is taking a drawing class next semester at co-op.  I am glad he was able to do this.

TroyboysMom
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:43 AM

We use a program called Meet the Masters. It's a great program that talks teaches about specific artists, their history, and has kids produce pieces using similar mediums and styles. We talk about artistic concepts all the time, take photos, look for elements, create. I find things that align with what we are talking about. We also live relatively quite near to the Getty Museum, and the Getty Villa, as well as several other wonderful art museums, and we go and ramble through them. The scavenger hunts for children are wonderful! Earlier this year there was a fabulous exhibit on old manuscripts - they were absolutely gorgeous to see in person. My cousin also has a degree in fine art, and is a working artist, so we go see her shows in the galleries she is in downtown, and she will talk to Ds about technique and style, and every year we put together an art camp, and she will come and teach.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN