Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Using the documentary, Blackfish, for a lesson?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:04 AM
  • 12 Replies
Today, again, I came across a news special about Seaworld and the documentary Blackfish. Have you incorporated this into your lessons? My son wanted to watch it. As a 3rd grader, I found a way to do this. We just watched it and discussed animal study and care, being American and having the right/ability to protest certain things, the economic/tourism and how it affects decisions made, etc.

What are your plans, pertaining to education, if you are using this documentary?? ...... not a "bash Seaworld" post, but how you are using it for educating!
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM

sounds really interesting! How young of an age would you say the movie is ok for?

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I haven't seen it. I probably will not watch it with my elementary-aged children. It is rated PG13 and imdb says includes reference to finding a nude body with its genitals ripped off, screaming and dead orcas, trainers being pulled under the water, and several uses of S---. Probably fine for middle/high school but my kids are 6, 6, 7, and 10, so it doesn't sound like something they should be seeing.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:29 AM

This documentary and many others are ones I'm not going to watch or have my kids watch because they operate (IMO) on horror and fear. I would be outraged and yet feel I could only do a little to help. That's not a place I need to go emotionally and I feel most kids don't need to go there either.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM

I'm planning on incorporating it this spring when we again tackle environmentalism. We often watch such documentaries and have discussions on the extremes - how sad it is that only the really wacky extremists often get the news but how every little person can make a difference. The same with homeschooling, it's often the wacky weird homeschooled that make the news while 99% of HSers are nothing like them. 

But, I'm a slightly wacky environmentalist (just not an extremist) so I plan on teaching my kids how to protect the environment, and how to protest those things we disagree with.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
y kids are very young but I will be showing them this and explain the pros and cons of animals in captivity
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I don't think we will be watching this documentary. I agree with Bleacheddecay Those kinds of documentary's are make to shock & scare you not really to educate you!

Mandallyn
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:13 PM
I wouldn't use Blackfish alone. In fact it would be used more as a reference. We've already talked about elephants, their intelligence and the environments they need, when in captivity, to thrive peacefully. We've also talked about how they can sometimes become violent when they aren't given proper treatment or environment, including their herd. I would have a similar lesson plan for Orcas.
Chillisarah
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been wanting to watch that myself but I didn't think about using it as a lesson.  My dd is 5 so depending on what it's about then I'll go forward from there but you have given me an idea to show her some other documentaries for lessons.  I love documentaries.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

If you use Blackfish as a lesson you should also go to Seaworld's website and read up on their response to it.  I think it is good to show both sides of the issue.  I won't use it with my son right now, but I might in the future.

Outrageous
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:32 AM
Depends in your family household. My son is 8. Third grade, but 4th grade level. It was not graphic for him because the issues we discussed were age appropriate. It's perfectly acceptable for 3rd graders. They should already experience, and/or know about animal care, laws, codes, protests, tourism, etc. There is no killing ... they just show how some whales have "scratch/defense" wounds. You could just inform them it's the same way kids push and fight when they are frustrated..... sort of sibling fighting..... Watchung animal attacks on Animal Planet is worst, trust me!

Quoting Chasing3:

sounds really interesting! How young of an age would you say the movie is ok for?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN