Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why Is Testing .... Wrong ??

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM
  • 52 Replies

Poll

Question: Should there be testing to assess a student's comprehension?

Options:

yes

no

maybe

other - please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 33

View Results

What is it about testing that makes it so wrong? What are the pros and cons, in Your opinion?

undefined

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:29 PM
5 moms liked this
I'm sure this will be a spirited discussion!

I give my girls girls math, social studies, and science tests. My main goal (and I tell them this) is to ensure I'm teaching things in a way they retain.

They'll have tests in college as well as the ACT & SATs, so I want them to feel comfortable taking tests as well.
Precious333
by Julia on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Testing has its place. The problem I have is that it doesnt show what they know, rather what they dont know. I was never good at tests, especially multiple choice or true and false. I did like taking essay tests though.
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:33 PM
5 moms liked this

I think the best way to learn what another person knows is to have a conversation with them not make them answer questions on a test!

Mandallyn
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:43 PM
5 moms liked this

I think testing can be beneficial... but not the way public schools do it.  I think it's a good way for teachers to see where their students are educationally, and also where they need improvement.  I do not think testing should be used as a guaranteed way prove that a child is learning, like standardized testing.  I also think that in a small classroom environment, like homeschool, tests are not always necessary  as the teacher/parent can determine what the child is retaining from their school work.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Are there any tests you wouldn't use?

I love spirited discussions. :)

Quoting TidewaterClan: I'm sure this will be a spirited discussion!

I give my girls girls math, social studies, and science tests. My main goal (and I tell them this) is to ensure I'm teaching things in a way they retain.

They'll have tests in college as well as the ACT & SATs, so I want them to feel comfortable taking tests as well.
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree that testing can be good, if its done with certain subjects and done in certain ways.  I HATE standardized testing.  I don't mind math tests.  Science, social studies, history, art, literature, English and a lot of others do not do well with certain tests, parts of them can be, but they are subjective subjects.  To "test" how well a child learns these it's best to have a discussion about the topic.  It can lead to debate but shows a deeper understanding than a great gloss over that standardized testing does. IMHO.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I was never good taking any kind of test. No matter what it was about. Even so, I think it does show whether or not someone is understanding the material the test is on. I also believe that TOO much value and or importance is put on taking these tests along with the answers.

Quoting Precious333: Testing has its place. The problem I have is that it doesnt show what they know, rather what they dont know. I was never good at tests, especially multiple choice or true and false. I did like taking essay tests though.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:23 PM
I understand and agree for the most part, with what you said but, consider this for a moment, please...

Would you go to a doctor or take your children to one if you knew all they did to show they know how to do their job was by talking it over with each other?

Quoting usmom3:

I think the best way to learn what another person knows is to have a conversation with them not make them answer questions on a test!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:28 PM
Well said.

What are some of the differences between tests at PS and test taking at home?

Quoting Mandallyn:

I think testing can be beneficial... but not the way public schools do it.  I think it's a good way for teachers to see where their students are educationally, and also where they need improvement.  I do not think testing should be used as a guaranteed way prove that a child is learning, like standardized testing.  I also think that in a small classroom environment, like homeschool, tests are not always necessary  as the teacher/parent can determine what the child is retaining from their school work.  

kmath
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it has its place, I also think it is overused.  I agree with usmom that one of the best ways to gauge what someone knows is to discuss it with them.  I think a lot of the standardized tests only show how good kids are at memorizing stuff and then forgetting it later and it shows who can test and who cannot. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)