Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

1800s school day - would love extra ideas

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello Ladies!

The girls and I read a super fun story today about a group of children who went to an 1800s settlement and lived for a week as a child there.  We want to 'live' it, so we're going to wear dresses tomorrow and move the bench into the family room for our 'school.'  They'll write on their small chalkboards, and I'll use the bigger one.  

Later we'll make biscuits and a pie from scratch to go along with dinner.

Do you have any other ideas off the top of your head we could use?

Thank you! 

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:04 PM
3 moms liked this

When we did 1800's study we made homemade butter and dipped our own candles :-)

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks Andrea! I didn't know about that site.

Quoting irvinehiker:

I bet if you look over on currclick.com they would have unit studies to go along with the LI books.  

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's a great idea!  I still have my set from when I was their age, so we can start those.  I found "Pioneer Sampler" at the used book store, and it's filled with recipes and schoolwork, so we'll use that too.

Quoting irvinehiker: I have no ideas to add but that sounds like fun! Have you guys read the Laura Ingals books? That might be a fun addition.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE that site!  There are some awesome resources over there and most are excellent quality and very affordable!!

Quoting TidewaterClan: Thanks Andrea! I didn't know about that site.

Quoting irvinehiker:

I bet if you look over on currclick.com they would have unit studies to go along with the LI books.  

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's a great idea!  I still have my set from when I was their age, so we can start those.  I found "Pioneer Sampler" at the used book store, and it's filled with recipes and schoolwork, so we'll use that too.

Quoting irvinehiker: I have no ideas to add but that sounds like fun! Have you guys read the Laura Ingals books? That might be a fun addition.

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:16 PM
They would really enjoy that. I have wicks and soy wax. I think it would give them an idea of how long that took if we dipped them. Thank you!

I went to the grocery today and meant to get cream for butter. I even walked right past it when I picked up milk. Argh!

Quoting bren_darlene:

When we did 1800's study we made homemade butter and dipped our own candles :-)

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Wonderful! I love finding new things to strengthen our school experience. I'm excited to check it out.

Quoting irvinehiker:

I LOVE that site!  There are some awesome resources over there and most are excellent quality and very affordable!!

Quoting TidewaterClan: Thanks Andrea! I didn't know about that site.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:56 AM
2 moms liked this
LOL..about a wood burning stove. We went on a Boy.Scout outing amd stayed in a cabin that had an awesome wood burning potbelly stove.

The boys.built their fire and cooked.on it but when they were.done, one.of.the boys asked,"how.do you turn it off?" Sorry, I was shocked! Then told him to "Think about how ypu might do that," and went and hid and laughed hysterically!
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
You could go outside and use math to measure a tree just like the pioneers used to do. Sounds fun.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:02 AM
3 moms liked this

I have nothing to add, but I need new glasses.  I read that you had read about CHICKENS living at the 1800s settlement.  Oh my.  Hey, how about having them draw their own bath?  Give them a bucket and have them fill it from the sink in the kitchen and haul it to the bathroom.

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
That's a hoot! I'm sure he was embarrassed when he figured it out.

It's wonderful that your troop gets to experience so many great things like that.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: LOL..about a wood burning stove. We went on a Boy.Scout outing amd stayed in a cabin that had an awesome wood burning potbelly stove.

The boys.built their fire and cooked.on it but when they were.done, one.of.the boys asked,"how.do you turn it off?" Sorry, I was shocked! Then told him to "Think about how ypu might do that," and went and hid and laughed hysterically!
TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:14 AM
They'll like that. Thanks Jen!

Quoting jen2150: You could go outside and use math to measure a tree just like the pioneers used to do. Sounds fun.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)