Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

1800s school day - would love extra ideas

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello Ladies!

The girls and I read a super fun story today about a group of children who went to an 1800s settlement and lived for a week as a child there.  We want to 'live' it, so we're going to wear dresses tomorrow and move the bench into the family room for our 'school.'  They'll write on their small chalkboards, and I'll use the bigger one.  

Later we'll make biscuits and a pie from scratch to go along with dinner.

Do you have any other ideas off the top of your head we could use?

Thank you! 

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Replies (21-30):
TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Chickens would be an odd story for inspiration. :)

I like that bath idea. One picture showed a girl filling it with a pitcher. They didn't think that would be a good time.

Quoting hwblyf:

I have nothing to add, but I need new glasses.  I read that you had read about CHICKENS living at the 1800s settlement.  Oh my.  Hey, how about having them draw their own bath?  Give them a bucket and have them fill it from the sink in the kitchen and haul it to the bathroom.

Chillisarah
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

love this idea, have fun!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Children often had to walk long distances to get to school. Depending on your weather, you might have them gear up for school then go on a walk around the neighborhood, then a walk after school is done. 

There are lots of Little House episodes available on YouTube. We also checked out season 1 from our public library. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

When my oldest was in 1st grade in ps, we went to an old farm.  They had their bathtub outside.  There was snow on the ground.  That's ok, I don't need to get clean until spring.

Quoting TidewaterClan: Chickens would be an odd story for inspiration. :)

I like that bath idea. One picture showed a girl filling it with a pitcher. They didn't think that would be a good time.

Quoting hwblyf:

I have nothing to add, but I need new glasses.  I read that you had read about CHICKENS living at the 1800s settlement.  Oh my.  Hey, how about having them draw their own bath?  Give them a bucket and have them fill it from the sink in the kitchen and haul it to the bathroom.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh that sounds like such a fun day!  How about stitching?  Or play some button games (Button button who's got the button, Tiddly Winks, etc).  Look at the map of the US and how much it has changed?

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM

That's a great idea.  I'll bet our library has those too (we've borrowed Wonder Woman from there).

It was rainy today, but we're going to "old school" it more often, so an early morning walk would put us right in the mood. :)

Quoting hipmomto3:

Children often had to walk long distances to get to school. Depending on your weather, you might have them gear up for school then go on a walk around the neighborhood, then a walk after school is done. 

There are lots of Little House episodes available on YouTube. We also checked out season 1 from our public library. 

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:27 PM

No kidding!  That'll wake a person up in a hurry.

Quoting hwblyf:

When my oldest was in 1st grade in ps, we went to an old farm.  They had their bathtub outside.  There was snow on the ground.  That's ok, I don't need to get clean until spring.

Quoting TidewaterClan: Chickens would be an odd story for inspiration. :)

Quoting hwblyf:

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Those are great ideas Blue!  We had a great time, and I think we're going to do this every Friday, so I'll be able to print out an old map and get our buttons together, etc.  

We used our regular textbooks, but it was fun doing everything (non-workbook related) on the chalkboard. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh that sounds like such a fun day!  How about stitching?  Or play some button games (Button button who's got the button, Tiddly Winks, etc).  Look at the map of the US and how much it has changed?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad you all had a great time!  Have you seen a timeline of American Public Education?  It's good to also remember that often in the 1800's the children were lerning at home just like we already do.  My kids thought that was really cool.  They were learning just like the pioneer families did.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Those are great ideas Blue!  We had a great time, and I think we're going to do this every Friday, so I'll be able to print out an old map and get our buttons together, etc.  

We used our regular textbooks, but it was fun doing everything (non-workbook related) on the chalkboard. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

We did that once before going to Sturbridge Village, and my boys LOVED that they were learning like pioneers anyway...though they hated the idea of how much work they would have to be doing everyday outside of work...lol..

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm glad you all had a great time!  Have you seen a timeline of American Public Education?  It's good to also remember that often in the 1800's the children were lerning at home just like we already do.  My kids thought that was really cool.  They were learning just like the pioneer families did.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN