Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

1800s school day - would love extra ideas

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello Ladies!

The girls and I read a super fun story today about a group of children who went to an 1800s settlement and lived for a week as a child there.  We want to 'live' it, so we're going to wear dresses tomorrow and move the bench into the family room for our 'school.'  They'll write on their small chalkboards, and I'll use the bigger one.  

Later we'll make biscuits and a pie from scratch to go along with dinner.

Do you have any other ideas off the top of your head we could use?

Thank you! 

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Replies (31-40):
TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Thanks for that link!  We were just discussing home education yesterday.  I know Laura Ingalls' mother taught them when they were no schools near.  I like having that link to our past.

Then it's cool to think of Abe Lincoln, whose mother passed away from drinking milk laced with white snakeroot.  She passed away and his new stepmother is the one who taught him.  It's interesting to think he wouldn't have been so educated if that sad event hadn't happened.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm glad you all had a great time!  Have you seen a timeline of American Public Education?  It's good to also remember that often in the 1800's the children were lerning at home just like we already do.  My kids thought that was really cool.  They were learning just like the pioneer families did.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Those are great ideas Blue!  We had a great time, and I think we're going to do this every Friday, so I'll be able to print out an old map and get our buttons together, etc.  

We used our regular textbooks, but it was fun doing everything (non-workbook related) on the chalkboard. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh that sounds like such a fun day!  How about stitching?  Or play some button games (Button button who's got the button, Tiddly Winks, etc).  Look at the map of the US and how much it has changed?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yeah!  My grandfather was the closest boy to the school and had to stoke the coal furnace and thaw the ink when he got there every morning (1920-1924)!  Yikes!  

Quoting KickButtMama:

We did that once before going to Sturbridge Village, and my boys LOVED that they were learning like pioneers anyway...though they hated the idea of how much work they would have to be doing everyday outside of work...lol..

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm glad you all had a great time!  Have you seen a timeline of American Public Education?  It's good to also remember that often in the 1800's the children were lerning at home just like we already do.  My kids thought that was really cool.  They were learning just like the pioneer families did.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Those are great ideas Blue!  We had a great time, and I think we're going to do this every Friday, so I'll be able to print out an old map and get our buttons together, etc.  

We used our regular textbooks, but it was fun doing everything (non-workbook related) on the chalkboard. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh that sounds like such a fun day!  How about stitching?  Or play some button games (Button button who's got the button, Tiddly Winks, etc).  Look at the map of the US and how much it has changed?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Those are amazing stories.  The boys have also been asking about the apprenticeships.  DH had told them at their age Ben Franklin had been sent off to apprentice already.  :-)  They had been complaining about loading the dishwasher LOL.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thanks for that link!  We were just discussing the home education yesterday.  I know Laura Ingalls mother taught them when they were no schools near.  I like having that link to our past.

Then it's cool to think of Abe Lincoln, whose mother passed away from drinking milk laced with white snakeroot.  She passed away and his new stepmother is the one who taught him.  It's interesting to think he wouldn't have been so educated if that sad event hadn't happened.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:49 PM

That Sturbridge looks super!  I know there's something like that within a day's drive of us.  I just need to find it; the girls would enjoy that.  

When we were reading the story yesterday my girls were grouching that the girls in the story weren't allowed to drive the oxen, work as a blacksmith, or other neat things.

Quoting KickButtMama:

We did that once before going to Sturbridge Village, and my boys LOVED that they were learning like pioneers anyway...though they hated the idea of how much work they would have to be doing everyday outside of work...lol..

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:53 PM

LOL, I'm sure that was an eye opener!  One picture from yesterday showed a girl washing laundry and looking disgusted.  They haven't fussed at all today about filling up the washer. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Those are amazing stories.  The boys have also been asking about the apprenticeships.  DH had told them at their age Ben Franklin had been sent off to apprentice already.  :-)  They had been complaining about loading the dishwasher LOL.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thanks for that link!  We were just discussing the home education yesterday.  I know Laura Ingalls mother taught them when they were no schools near.  I like having that link to our past.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you imagine having to wash those clothes with a washboard?  I mean today it actually got above freezing, but I think I'd just have dirty clothes until June!  LOL

Quoting TidewaterClan:

LOL, I'm sure that was an eye opener!  One picture from yesterday showed a girl washing laundry and looking disgusted.  They haven't fussed at all today about filling up the washer. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely not a leisurely bath!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

No kidding!  That'll wake a person up in a hurry.

Quoting hwblyf:

When my oldest was in 1st grade in ps, we went to an old farm.  They had their bathtub outside.  There was snow on the ground.  That's ok, I don't need to get clean until spring.

Quoting TidewaterClan: Chickens would be an odd story for inspiration. :)

I like that bath idea. One picture showed a girl filling it with a pitcher. They didn't think that would be a good time.

Quoting hwblyf:

I have nothing to add, but I need new glasses.  I read that you had read about CHICKENS living at the 1800s settlement.  Oh my.  Hey, how about having them draw their own bath?  Give them a bucket and have them fill it from the sink in the kitchen and haul it to the bathroom.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 10, 2014 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
*chuckling ever so lightly*

This is the second time, today, that I have enjoyed your reply. :)
Don't feel too bad, I have read what someone has said and found it didn't read that way. I need new glasses too.
*Hugs*

Quoting hwblyf:

I have nothing to add, but I need new glasses.  I read that you had read about CHICKENS living at the 1800s settlement.  Oh my.  Hey, how about having them draw their own bath?  Give them a bucket and have them fill it from the sink in the kitchen and haul it to the bathroom.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 5:22 PM
2 moms liked this

When we went to Dinosaur National Monument in UT last year, my husband's favorite stories were of this woman, Josie Bassett Morris, who was an ass kicker.  She did everything on her homestead, including housing some questionable characters at points.  So while doing  those neat things wasn't the norm, there were some women out there doing it:

http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/pioneers_and_cowboys/josiebassett.html

I smiled at this one woman in a parking lot because she had a bumper sticker that said something like nice girls don't make history.  :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That Sturbridge looks super!  I know there's something like that within a day's drive of us.  I just need to find it; the girls would enjoy that.  

When we were reading the story yesterday my girls were grouching that the girls in the story weren't allowed to drive the oxen, work as a blacksmith, or other neat things.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this

There was another reply that said something about making soap and dipping CANDLES, not CANDIES.  That one might not be my glasses causing the error, though.  ;-)

Quoting kirbymom: *chuckling ever so lightly*

This is the second time, today, that I have enjoyed your reply. :)
Don't feel too bad, I have read what someone has said and found it didn't read that way. I need new glasses too.
*Hugs*

Quoting hwblyf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN