Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

1800s school day - would love extra ideas

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello Ladies!

The girls and I read a super fun story today about a group of children who went to an 1800s settlement and lived for a week as a child there.  We want to 'live' it, so we're going to wear dresses tomorrow and move the bench into the family room for our 'school.'  They'll write on their small chalkboards, and I'll use the bigger one.  

Later we'll make biscuits and a pie from scratch to go along with dinner.

Do you have any other ideas off the top of your head we could use?

Thank you! 

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Replies (51-54):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the current lingo is UPcycling.  :)  Back in my day, we just called it re-use.  Or re-fashioning.  But I'm old.  I'm ready to be upcycled, too.  Not really.....

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Those ladies put the T in tough!  Her homestead sounds like something else, especially with that box canyon.  That's right out of the movies!

I would not have wanted to cross a river right after having a baby.  I'll tell my girls about that and the 'recycled' wagon too.

Quoting hwblyf:

If you ever get a chance to get up to Dinosaur, make sure you check out her homestead.  The woman built that house all by herself.  It's a one floor deal, but she built it with her own hands.  And the land that was hers was no small deal, plus she had a box canyon.  I want a box canyon.  :)  And they told us stories of families crossing the Green River....a woman gave birth and 3 days later crossed the humonguously fast Green River in what had, just the day before, been their covered wagon, and then that wood went to building their home.  Yeah, I was still trying to get out of bed 3 days after having a baby.  :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

What a cool bumper sticker!  Thanks for the link!  I'll share that with my girls.  They like hearing about women like her.

Quoting hwblyf:

When we went to Dinosaur National Monument in UT last year, my husband's favorite stories were of this woman, Josie Bassett Morris, who was an ass kicker.  She did everything on her homestead, including housing some questionable characters at points.  So while doing  those neat things wasn't the norm, there were some women out there doing it:

http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/pioneers_and_cowboys/josiebassett.html

I smiled at this one woman in a parking lot because she had a bumper sticker that said something like nice girls don't make history.  :)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

No ideas but that sounds so fun! What book did you read?

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Far out.  Thanks for swinging me into the modern day jive, lol.

You don't need upcycled.  I like you just as you are, and your input on things too.

Quoting hwblyf:

I think the current lingo is UPcycling.  :)  Back in my day, we just called it re-use.  Or re-fashioning.  But I'm old.  I'm ready to be upcycled, too.  Not really.....

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Those ladies put the T in tough!  Her homestead sounds like something else, especially with that box canyon.  That's right out of the movies!

I would not have wanted to cross a river right after having a baby.  I'll tell my girls about that and the 'recycled' wagon too.

Quoting hwblyf:

If you ever get a chance to get up to Dinosaur, make sure you check out her homestead.  The woman built that house all by herself.  It's a one floor deal, but she built it with her own hands.  And the land that was hers was no small deal, plus she had a box canyon.  I want a box canyon.  :)  And they told us stories of families crossing the Green River....a woman gave birth and 3 days later crossed the humonguously fast Green River in what had, just the day before, been their covered wagon, and then that wood went to building their home.  Yeah, I was still trying to get out of bed 3 days after having a baby.  :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

What a cool bumper sticker!  Thanks for the link!  I'll share that with my girls.  They like hearing about women like her.

Quoting hwblyf:

When we went to Dinosaur National Monument in UT last year, my husband's favorite stories were of this woman, Josie Bassett Morris, who was an ass kicker.  She did everything on her homestead, including housing some questionable characters at points.  So while doing  those neat things wasn't the norm, there were some women out there doing it:

http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/pioneers_and_cowboys/josiebassett.html

I smiled at this one woman in a parking lot because she had a bumper sticker that said something like nice girls don't make history.  :)

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 7:00 PM

We read "A Pioneer Sampler."  It's mostly non-fiction but we're going to start reading "Little House" tomorrow, so it will be more fun each time we do it.  Not having the news on during lunch was weird at first, but we weren't distracted and got back to school right after.  I think I'll keep that up (for me, not the girls!).

Quoting paganbaby:

No ideas but that sounds so fun! What book did you read?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)