Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

(off topic) Morning one...

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:41 AM
  • 24 Replies

I have four kids (12, 9, 5, and 1)...   

We invited two kids to stay with us for the next five days.   It's morning one...  I love them, but I'm not a doting mom and their mom is.   They are used to constantly being paid attention to by the adult and not just have fun with the other kids.

Argh... LOL!

These kids are like cousins to mine.   They are really sweet and loving and mine are ornery, they tease more than these other ones are used to so, I have to keep reminding mine that their friends don't appreciate teasing as much as they do and to find other ways to play with them.

I asked them to go play while I got breakfast cooked and the one child has been the only one to keep coming back in the kitchen, about fifteen times in the time it took to whip up muffins.

by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mandallyn
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Yeah... that's a good reason not to let my kids stay for extended periods of time at others' houses. My kids don't tease, my middle child would literally breakdown with too much teasing. My oldest can't handle a lot of negative talk either. :/ Good luck with your week.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I tip my hat to you. I don't know if I could handle two extra for 5 days. LOL

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine aren't negative or mean, they just joke around and laugh.   In our home, they aren't allowed to say "stupid" or "butthead" or anything like that.   Some how, though, I keep getting tattle told on by the other two over things that aren't even mean.     They even have been tattling on the baby and he can't talk yet!   He doesn't hit, bite, nothing.   All he does is yell when people take things from him and they come and tattle on the baby for yelling because he won't give them the toy he wants.   So I guess I put it in an unfair light against my kids by saying "teasing"...

Quoting Mandallyn: Yeah... that's a good reason not to let my kids stay for extended periods of time at others' houses. My kids don't tease, my middle child would literally breakdown with too much teasing. My oldest can't handle a lot of negative talk either. :/ Good luck with your week.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Hope they find ways to have lots of fun.
Mandallyn
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I didn't mean to sound aggressive.  I stayed with relatives when I was young while my mom was deployed.  My emotional needs were not met (I'm fairly sure it's a genetic thing because my dad's side of family has people who are as emotional as I am!) and it took it's toll on me for years.  Not the same thing, I know, I guess I'm a little biased because of it.

That's ridiculous, telling on the baby.  LOL Again, good luck.  Sounds like you've got your hands full!

Quoting KrissyKC:

Mine aren't negative or mean, they just joke around and laugh.   In our home, they aren't allowed to say "stupid" or "butthead" or anything like that.   Some how, though, I keep getting tattle told on by the other two over things that aren't even mean.     They even have been tattling on the baby and he can't talk yet!   He doesn't hit, bite, nothing.   All he does is yell when people take things from him and they come and tattle on the baby for yelling because he won't give them the toy he wants.   So I guess I put it in an unfair light against my kids by saying "teasing"...

Quoting Mandallyn: Yeah... that's a good reason not to let my kids stay for extended periods of time at others' houses. My kids don't tease, my middle child would literally breakdown with too much teasing. My oldest can't handle a lot of negative talk either. :/ Good luck with your week.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:07 PM

It's actually going good, though.   The kids do pretty good together, she just has a MUCH more child-y touch on her kids than I do.   I'm trying to be better at it.   LOL!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:27 PM

It's ok.   I have "trigger words" because of my childhood.    My mother's big thing when she got mad was to call me a "stupid-idiot" in a mean way.    I saw a boy tease a little sister in the parkinglot once and he was being pretty mean and teased the little girl out almost in front of a car.   The mom grabbed the child and yanked her back toward their own car and called her a "stupid-idiot" in the same harsh tone my mom used to use.   It took everything in me to restrain myself and remind myself it probably scared the pants off  the mother and she may have just reacted and to NOT say anything to her.  

Yes she was wrong calling her child that, but I was probably a little more angry and touchy over it because of my issues.

Quoting Mandallyn:

I didn't mean to sound aggressive.  I stayed with relatives when I was young while my mom was deployed.  My emotional needs were not met (I'm fairly sure it's a genetic thing because my dad's side of family has people who are as emotional as I am!) and it took it's toll on me for years.  Not the same thing, I know, I guess I'm a little biased because of it.

That's ridiculous, telling on the baby.  LOL Again, good luck.  Sounds like you've got your hands full!

Quoting KrissyKC:

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:37 PM

When I had to watch my two nieces for a week last year, I had a TON of tattle talling from all of them. I ended up putting up a chart, Tattling vs Reporting (which I still have on my fridge) If the were tattling, then they had to do appologize to the person they were tattling on, and sit out for 5 minutes. If they felt they really really had to tattle, they could write it on a slip of paper, and feed it to he Tattle Monster box (whic was an empty tissue box decorated to look like a monster). I told them, the monster will spit all the problems at me later after they all go to bed, and I'll let them know how the next day is going to go from there. The tattling almost ceased after the first half hour, and the monster box was hardly used afte day 2.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:08 PM

If I had them regularly, I would do something.      This is just supposed to be a fun visit, and the kids aren't used to being at other people's houses.   The little girl is seven and this is her first time anywhere but grandmas.    The boy is nine and he has only been at our place and grandmas.   He went to church camp last year for the first time.    They are good kids.   They have said thank you a bazillion times.   They have better manners than my own, that's for sure.    You wouldn't think I had six kids in this house, though, it's pretty calm and quiet.

We've painted nails, played dress up, played legos, watched some TV, read aloud, so far this AM.   I am probably not going to attempt any schooling because I'm just not up for the challenge.   My baby has an ear infection, too, and I'm trying to treat it at home.   However, I'm close to having DH take him up to the urgent care.   He  seems like he's getting worse and not better.

Quoting No_Difference:

When I had to watch my two nieces for a week last year, I had a TON of tattle talling from all of them. I ended up putting up a chart, Tattling vs Reporting (which I still have on my fridge) If the were tattling, then they had to do appologize to the person they were tattling on, and sit out for 5 minutes. If they felt they really really had to tattle, they could write it on a slip of paper, and feed it to he Tattle Monster box (whic was an empty tissue box decorated to look like a monster). I told them, the monster will spit all the problems at me later after they all go to bed, and I'll let them know how the next day is going to go from there. The tattling almost ceased after the first half hour, and the monster box was hardly used afte day 2.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you might have a long 5 days!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)