Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Mid Year withdrawal

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM
  • 10 Replies
For those that have withdrawn their munchkins mid year, what did you use to finish off that school year? I understand deschooling, but did you buy any specific books to finish at least math? any other advice on mid year withdrawals? thanks ladies :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:08 PM

We were going to homeschool the following year, but my daughter had issues that made us think we needed to pull her right away.    We did suddenly and popped her on Time4Learning.com.    It wasn't great, but we just did that and library trips and such.    Slowly added in some other projects for fun and eventually a better math.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I pulled one out of a brick and mortar PS one December.  I purchased a bunch of addition and subtraction, time and money workbooks to finish out the year in math.  Other than that we just read a lot of books.  Each week we would read a short story, a poem, and either a history story or science book and at least 2 periodicals (highlights, Cricket, National Geographic kids, Humpty Dumpty, something along those lines).  Then I pulled 2 out of K12 in February.  I bought curriculum a tiny bit above grade level and started them off without deschooling because we were homeschooling already.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Nope we just deschooled & did things that interested him nothing looked formal in any way shape or form!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I did Life of Fred, read books, did science.  I felt a lot of pressure right away to get it "right."  And now I'm realizing that "right" is very subjective and different for everyone.  And possibly I'm not doing it right.  :)

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I pulled my older daughter (6th grade ) out in September.  Her last ps day was Thursday.  I let her relax on Friday, then began with regular textbooks on Monday.  Most of those were used from Amazon, and a few from Rainbow.  We worked with the ones that came then added the others as they arrived.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Oh boy have you hit the nail on the head!

Quoting hwblyf:

I did Life of Fred, read books, did science.  I felt a lot of pressure right away to get it "right."  And now I'm realizing that "right" is very subjective and different for everyone.  And possibly I'm not doing it right.  :)

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM
thanks for the suggestions! !! we might get a geade level math book and do some simple lapbooks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jody59
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I think it depends on the age/grade.   Even if you do not want to go in for every subject, I would recommend  keeping up on reading, writing and math.

Some type of schedule  (daily routine) would probably be good for you and the child/children.

Hope it goes well.

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM
duh! forgot to mention their ages/grades LOL. right now I have an 8 year old 2nd grader and a 5 year old kinder

Quoting Jody59:

I think it depends on the age/grade.   Even if you do not want to go in for every subject, I would recommend  keeping up on reading, writing and math.

Some type of schedule  (daily routine) would probably be good for you and the child/children.

Hope it goes well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I never pulled my kids out mid year. However, I know that Math Mammoth and Singapore have their curriculums divided by semesters (A and B). So you might want to look into that for math.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)