Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi all you wonderful mamas!  My name is Kelsi and I have 3 boys... 5,3 and 1.  I have been thinking about home schooling for a long time but it looks like we are really wanting to make it a reality.  My hubs and I are going to have our oldest finish up the rest of the kindergarten year this year then start homeschooling next year.  But the more research I do, the more overwhelmed I feel.  How do I choose a curriculum?  What if I can't do it the way it needs to be done and my son doesn't learn what he needs to.  I still really feel like homeschooling would be perfect for my family.  But I just don't know where to start!  Please HELP!  Any advice would be awesome!  Thanks ladies!!!

confused

armyshooting photoplaying soccerbaseballbaby boy
Wife of a US Soldier and Mommy to 3 Wonderful Little Boys

by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:13 PM
Replies (11-13):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I have been at this for over 20 yrs and have been around many home educating families. I promise  you can do much, much better than the schools even on your worse day. There is no one set way to home educate. That is what is so wonderful. You find out how each child learns best just by being with them and teaching them then you aim to teach them that way. It isn't a one size fits all like public schools. Main thing is just relax and enjoy being with them and make learning as fun as possible. It is really fun and easy how young they are right now :-)

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I was scared to death before we started this year, but my girls (3rd & 6th) are doing so much better. They're learning & having fun too.

We use a secular curriculum but the wonderful thing about homeschooling is you can use what you enjoy & are comfortable with.

http://www.greathomeschoolconventions.com
I can't make that clicky, but I went to the one in Cincinnati last year and it was good to see everything & other people too. If there is one in your area I would recommend going.

Rainbow & the other sites/materials Celtic mentioned are also excellent resources.
sdgd21
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM
You have a lot of good information here. My kids came from public school to Homeschool, my suggestion would be to get a homeschool curriculum it's already has a complete schedule, a kit. That way you have some guidelines. The following year if you would like to , You could go on your own.
First here is the hardest, especially with other little ones. But stick with it it's very much worth it. And yes, get in to support groups. It makes a world of difference
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)