Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
How do you spend your evenings, or time as.a.family? Every night when DH.gets home I feel done. Most of my energy is spent during the day, schooling, cleaning etc. After I make dinner I dont want to do anything, but I feel so boring. I usually am watching netflix or TV or playing a game on my phone. Dh has been helping me by reading the kids a story. Is it just me, or am I becoming a boring person? Lol oh, and lately my baby girl has been extra grumpy at night too.

Anyways. Is it bad that i just watch tv until bedtime? What do you do?
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I enjoy playing on my tablet, reading to my self, reading to my children, playing hay day with my husband, cm, browsing, watching TV, talking with my husband and kids. It is my winding down time, sometimes I have work on my classes I teach for co-op.
oahoah
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:31 PM
We'll play board games, read, do puzzles. Sometimes we'll do a project together. I get days like yours too and it helps so much when I take a few minutes during the day before I reach that burn-out stage. I will let the kids watch a short movie, have kindle or computer time and either walk on the treadmill or just lay down in bed. It has made all the difference in my enjoyment of our whole family time. I think it's good to be able to do more than just zone-out because you are burned out; it's great that your DH is able to take over but I think you also need to take care of yourself so that you don't just hand it all off on him or then he will be burning out too. Also, depending on how old your kids are, get them on a schedule for helping with chores. I have 3 boys who are 4, 6, and 9 so our schooling times are short & in between we do chores. This works well for us.
Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:37 PM
I have a 7,5,3 yr old boys and a baby girl. We start the day with school, after they play and i do house work, they also have chores, but I give them a light load (well, they think.its a lots lol) and they get video games if they finish while i make dinner. Then after dinner I am just feel done. If we have a really busy day (we are gone all days on mondays) than i dont even want to do dinner! Lol

Quoting oahoah: We'll play board games, read, do puzzles. Sometimes we'll do a project together. I get days like yours too and it helps so much when I take a few minutes during the day before I reach that burn-out stage. I will let the kids watch a short movie, have kindle or computer time and either walk on the treadmill or just lay down in bed. It has made all the difference in my enjoyment of our whole family time.
I think it's good to be able to do more than just zone-out because you are burned out; it's great that your DH is able to take over but I think you also need to take care of yourself so that you don't just hand it all off on him or then he will be burning out too.
Also, depending on how old your kids are, get them on a schedule for helping with chores. I have 3 boys who are 4, 6, and 9 so our schooling times are short & in between we do chores. This works well for us.
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:13 AM
That will definately change things then! Alexander is finally getting on a schedule so that makes my life slightly easier than at the beginning of the school year.

Quoting Precious333: Im still waiting for dh to come home tonight, he usually is home much earlier, we still javent eaten dinner because the baby has been napping on me for hours (i am.afriad that if I wake her that she will cry and not stop). Tonights going to be different I guess (kids are playing video games )

Quoting SMTCMMoore: We just got rid if cable. It's been 10 days. Tonight was out first movie night and it was so fun!

We read to the kids, they are in bed just after 7, then I pick up and do dishes, talk with DH, play on my phone, read, or craft. To night I'm finishing a car seat cover for a girlfriend.
Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Yeah, we have a schedule. Tonight i decided to not inforce it....they should have been asleep 15 mins ago, they are still up playing video games.

Quoting SMTCMMoore: That will definately change things then! Alexander is finally getting on a schedule so that makes my life slightly easier than at the beginning of the school year.

Quoting Precious333: Im still waiting for dh to come home tonight, he usually is home much earlier, we still javent eaten dinner because the baby has been napping on me for hours (i am.afriad that if I wake her that she will cry and not stop). Tonights going to be different I guess (kids are playing video games )

Quoting SMTCMMoore: We just got rid if cable. It's been 10 days. Tonight was out first movie night and it was so fun!

We read to the kids, they are in bed just after 7, then I pick up and do dishes, talk with DH, play on my phone, read, or craft. To night I'm finishing a car seat cover for a girlfriend.
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Haha, at least it's Friday. I couldn't school on Wednesday this week so we have a light school day planned tomorrow, otherwise I may have let mine be up later too.

Quoting Precious333: Yeah, we have a schedule. Tonight i decided to not inforce it....they should have been asleep 15 mins ago, they are still up playing video games.

Quoting SMTCMMoore: That will definately change things then! Alexander is finally getting on a schedule so that makes my life slightly easier than at the beginning of the school year.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:48 AM

Our evenings vary...DH is off Sun-Tues so Wed-Sat it is me and the kid.

• Mondays I have either cribbage (I got to the Elks lodge) or an Order of the Arrow (Boy Scouts) meeting
  • Tuesdays DH is home and I go to karate. Usually "the guys" watch some kill em up movie or play PS3 while I go to karate.
  • Wednesday we are lazy and everyone does what they want. I usually read, kids play computers or video games or watch TV.
  • Thursdays is Boy Scouts and we get home about 9pm so it is 30-45 minutes of quiet time (read, or shower, or play legos, etc) and then get ready for bed by 10pm
  • Fridays - We have Antlers (youth program through the Elks lodge) on the 2nd & 4th Friday, the 3rd weekend we are camping with Scouts...that leaves maybe ONE free weekend a month!
  • Saturday, if we are not camping then we all do our own thing. On rare ocassion we ay play monoply or other family game night.
  • Sunday is usually our "big family night" when DH is not working and the kid are all home. We watch a family movie and/or play games together.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I never had the impression that being an adult was that exciting. I made sure that I got all my "living" in before "settling down". I like the "boring" life though. =) I work, clean, do school, get some sleep, get up, make dinner, have family time, baths, read to kids and tuck them into bed. Then I am back to work. The weekends are when I get a bit of time to get out to explore somewhat.

I don't watch too much tv, except to keep up with some Dr Who, Top Gear and some Netflix documentaries. When I do, I am usually multitasking. I can't stand to ONLY sit and watch tv. So I knit or put together a lesson or what have you.

Nothing wrong with you watching tv in the evenings (as long as you are taking care of your responsibilities). 

"To a great mind, nothing is little."  ~Sherlock Holmes

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:19 AM

After writing this, my 4th asked me last night to read Monster Trucks.  So I did, on the couch downstairs, which is not where I ever do bedtime, I always do it either in their room or mine.  It was a little different.  One by one, I ended up with all my boys listening to this book that's really for younger kids (my daughter was at my parents' for the night).  It always cracks me up when my 10 yo comes running to listen to a story for kinders or 1st graders.  :)

Quoting Precious333: Yeah, i kind of miss that, i feel bad about not doing that with my 3 yr old (I think.he needs more mommy time). Maybe I should start doing that with him.

Quoting hwblyf:

Yeah, evenings I need to escape.  I figure it's not me that's boring, though.  I haven't come up with an alternative to that assessment, but I'm positive I'm not boring.  Watching Thor every night to get sleep is exciting.  Spontaneous!  The part I do feel bad about, is that I used to read to my kids every night.  Now I'm just all about getting them into their beds.

Homeschoolmo701
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I'm pregnant so the kids and I have been sleeping late so we had to finish up lessons at night.  I try to have everyone in bed by 8:00 and my BF and I can have time together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)