Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
How do you spend your evenings, or time as.a.family? Every night when DH.gets home I feel done. Most of my energy is spent during the day, schooling, cleaning etc. After I make dinner I dont want to do anything, but I feel so boring. I usually am watching netflix or TV or playing a game on my phone. Dh has been helping me by reading the kids a story. Is it just me, or am I becoming a boring person? Lol oh, and lately my baby girl has been extra grumpy at night too.

Anyways. Is it bad that i just watch tv until bedtime? What do you do?
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Love it! :)

Quoting hwblyf:

After writing this, my 4th asked me last night to read Monster Trucks.  So I did, on the couch downstairs, which is not where I ever do bedtime, I always do it either in their room or mine.  It was a little different.  One by one, I ended up with all my boys listening to this book that's really for younger kids (my daughter was at my parents' for the night).  It always cracks me up when my 10 yo comes running to listen to a story for kinders or 1st graders.  :)

Quoting Precious333: Yeah, i kind of miss that, i feel bad about not doing that with my 3 yr old (I think.he needs more mommy time). Maybe I should start doing that with him.

Quoting hwblyf:

Yeah, evenings I need to escape.  I figure it's not me that's boring, though.  I haven't come up with an alternative to that assessment, but I'm positive I'm not boring.  Watching Thor every night to get sleep is exciting.  Spontaneous!  The part I do feel bad about, is that I used to read to my kids every night.  Now I'm just all about getting them into their beds.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM
I probably watch one show a day, if that. I think my biggest downfall is not doing dishes after dinner. I am just so tired and my baby doesnt let me put her down at night and she only wants me. I feel bad asking dh to do it (he is just as exhausted as me)

Quoting celtic77dragon:

I never had the impression that being an adult was that exciting. I made sure that I got all my "living" in before "settling down". I like the "boring" life though. =) I work, clean, do school, get some sleep, get up, make dinner, have family time, baths, read to kids and tuck them into bed. Then I am back to work. The weekends are when I get a bit of time to get out to explore somewhat.

I don't watch too much tv, except to keep up with some Dr Who, Top Gear and some Netflix documentaries. When I do, I am usually multitasking. I can't stand to ONLY sit and watch tv. So I knit or put together a lesson or what have you.

Nothing wrong with you watching tv in the evenings (as long as you are taking care of your responsibilities). 

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Yeah, the kids bedtime is 9, I'm trying to change it to 8:30, but my 7 yr old has a hard time going to be early.

Quoting Homeschoolmo701:

I'm pregnant so the kids and I have been sleeping late so we had to finish up lessons at night.  I try to have everyone in bed by 8:00 and my BF and I can have time together.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Yeah, having babies in the home does make things more difficult. It has been awhile for me, but I still remember the challenges of that. My (now ex)husband worked 84hr weeks back when I had the youngest two kids. That was insane! I still wonder how I managed to pull myself through some of those days. If you can afford it, maybe paper plates might help for awhile. You have to make some trade offs during that stage in life.

Having family to help out is awesome too, lol. I didn't have it, but I help a friend of mine who has two little ones and I plan on helping my kids when they have babies; come over and do dishes, bring over casseroles, fold laundry, etc. 

Quoting Precious333: I probably watch one show a day, if that. I think my biggest downfall is not doing dishes after dinner. I am just so tired and my baby doesnt let me put her down at night and she only wants me. I feel bad asking dh to do it (he is just as exhausted as me)

Quoting celtic77dragon:

I never had the impression that being an adult was that exciting. I made sure that I got all my "living" in before "settling down". I like the "boring" life though. =) I work, clean, do school, get some sleep, get up, make dinner, have family time, baths, read to kids and tuck them into bed. Then I am back to work. The weekends are when I get a bit of time to get out to explore somewhat.

I don't watch too much tv, except to keep up with some Dr Who, Top Gear and some Netflix documentaries. When I do, I am usually multitasking. I can't stand to ONLY sit and watch tv. So I knit or put together a lesson or what have you.

Nothing wrong with you watching tv in the evenings (as long as you are taking care of your responsibilities). 

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Yeah. Maybe i should get paper plate again. I have family, bur they are too busy

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Yeah, having babies in the home does make things more difficult. It has been awhile for me, but I still remember the challenges of that. My (now ex)husband worked 84hr weeks back when I had the youngest two kids. That was insane! I still wonder how I managed to pull myself through some of those days. If you can afford it, maybe paper plates might help for awhile. You have to make some trade offs during that stage in life.

Having family to help out is awesome too, lol. I didn't have it, but I help a friend of mine who has two little ones and I plan on helping my kids when they have babies; come over and do dishes, bring over casseroles, fold laundry, etc. 

Quoting Precious333: I probably watch one show a day, if that. I think my biggest downfall is not doing dishes after dinner. I am just so tired and my baby doesnt let me put her down at night and she only wants me. I feel bad asking dh to do it (he is just as exhausted as me)

Quoting celtic77dragon:

craftyzenmom
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I am toast by the evening! ...and I "only" have 3 kids who are 13 & 10 so they help a lot more than when they were younger (not without complaint of course). Your workload is intense, I remember when our twins were babies and they were in the stage of needing to be held and sleeping on one or each of us. It is exhausting! We finally used the Ferber method to get them into bed after my mom told us we were not doing anyone any good by becoming walking Zombies. Our school days are crazy since their Charter is 72 mi round trip and all of my kids like to be involved in on-site activies like Band, art classes & Science Olympiad, at least a couple of times a week we're driving. Then we have to do school at home as well. I keep telling myself this is where I am right now and it's very fluid, things change so quickly as kids grow up. What looks like boring right now will look different in retrospect. Enjoy the time you have with them for what it is in the stage of your family...And give yourself a break! You are a super busy rock-star mom!!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM
I'm boring. We watch TV together just about every single night. I never know from one day to the next how our day is going to be, so any me time is carved out in the shower or if I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep, talk with hubby or read or play a game on my phone.
The kids and I are together nearly every day, all day.
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jan. 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM
I used to have serious guilt over not doing a ton in the evenings. we work from home as well as homeschool...so we are together interacting all day every day.
Like i said I used to feel bad that we didn't do something every night..then it occured to me that we do more together than most families..it just isn't at the traditional times that most people expect.
I do not read a lot at bedtime, but we read so much together during the day that i'm down right read out by bed time.
Plus when i say it is time for bed..there isn't a long drawn out routine. Kiss, hugs, chat, prayer and sleep..I used to feel bad about it. Then i realized that most 'traditional'(non homeschooling) parents are trying to squeeze in as much time as possible because they have been apart from their kids all day. I am with them all day, when the day is over..we have basically seen enough of each other. lol

Oh and to answer your question..some nights we do special things(read, play games etc) but most nights we watch tv. lol
Molimomma
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM

We do dinner at 5. I clean up the kitchen by 6. I take my bath or shower at 6:30 why my son watches Doc McStuffins on Disney Junior. We "snuggle up" until his bath time at 7:30(ish) then I read him stories and put him to bed which ends up being about 8:30 these days. At some point during this period of time my husband gets home from work(it varies daily). I usually go back downstairs to make sure he's found his dinner and finish whatever load of laundry is going then I say good night. I'm almost always in bed by 9:30. If I don't get enough sleep I am AWFUL the next day so I've learned to get to bed early to be the best mom/wife I can the next day. Occasionally my hubs complains but since he works most of the time he knows I need to do what I need to do to function with zero help. Every once in awhile I stay up late for him but for the most part I'm on a little kid schedule! "Family Time" when we have it is the occasional Sunday or a random lunch when my DH goes in late to work. Last month he worked 21 straight days before he had a day off and we squeezed in a trip to the zoo and wasn't off again until Christmas Eve. Anything housework-wise gets done during the day because I am NOT cleaning after bedtime!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 5:32 PM

We eat dinner and then usually relax in front of he television. I give the children baths. At some point I clean the kitchen and dining room table from dinner. I usually try to fold laundry while we watch a show. DD12 is usually finishing homework or working on something for school... or skyping/talking to friends. Weekends are really our "quality" family time.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)