Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Take a Look at Khan Academy!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM
  • 19 Replies

I have a 15 year old daughter and a 23 year old daughter in a University.  Both of them love Khan Academy for many different subjects (especially for math).  I created my own curriculum for years before I discovered him.

It's FREE!!  Any age can use it - the neon board tutorials are fantastic.  Below is a link to their site, with a short introduction by the young founder of Khan Academy (and a finale by Bill Gates, who loves this guy).

After you click on this link, go immediately to the bottom and click on "What's Khan Academy All About?"  It will bring you to the video.

Enjoy!

EmmDee

www.khanacademy.org 

by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I think most people have heard of KA? It's been around for awhile.

I am not a fan of it, at all. That's just me personally. We have looked at it several times over the years, and the lessons are extremely boring, the design is not responsive, and it's just not a useful tool for our family.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:20 AM

We've used khan for years, it's awesome!

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I have used it this year and liked it so far. However, I use it in addition to our curriculum materials.

butterflycircle
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:50 AM

i have been considering it

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:01 AM

it used to be no sign up - just free to click around and watch anything, now you have to sign up with an email, and they've been heavily backed by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and they are partnered with Facebook and Google+. I guess nothing is freee, so for your signing up, you're giving them access to all your browsing history so they can use it for data mining.

I don't like that I had to register... but I did a while back anyway because I want to see their viedos. But someone else told me I should go to MITs Open Courseware Consortium. I haven't had the change ot look at that. I sort of figured it was higher level stuff.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM
I like Khan academy but after finding that they have aligned themselves with cc and I won't use anything that lines up with cc anything.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I don't like it either.

Quoting hipmomto3:

I am not a fan of it, at all. That's just me personally. We have looked at it several times over the years, and the lessons are extremely boring, the design is not responsive, and it's just not a useful tool for our family.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 7:23 PM

My senior in high school loves it.  It helps her understand what she's learning better.   

My 12 y/o homeschooled ds prefers books to anything on the web.  I do think he'll probably enjoy KA in a couple of years.  

I think younger kids don't like it as much.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I agree. I can see some benefit to higher math (high school & above) instruction - as a supplement. But my children are all elementary age still, and it's not very useful for us. They need to learn in a much more interactive, engaging way.

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I think younger kids don't like it as much.

EmmDee
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Take a fresh look!  There are some new interactive options, quizzes and other fun games.  It is much friendlier for first graders and older.  I am not affiliated with them in any way - I simply have had great luck with them and enjoy passing along a website for anyone who is unfamiliar with something my girls and I have enjoyed.  

Best of luck with whatever works for you and your own children : )

EmmDee

Quoting hipmomto3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN