Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have to admit I'm a little scared...even though it feels so natural to me...

Posted by   + Show Post

So I just started homeschooling my 13 year old (her choice) and am actually finding it to be such a natural thing (I think I was made for this).  I love it. She loves it.   I love having her home, knowing she is eating healthier, getting more rest, away from negativity (there was so much negativity at the public school she attended...from the teachers to the students), and actually getting an opportunity to learn without anything distracting her.  I just know in my heart that it is the best thing for her...but (of course there is a but ):)  I worry because there is not very much support for homeschooled kids and parents around here.  I can't find any groups close by and not to mention that there is a stigma that goes along with being homeschooled (because people are really ignorant...sorry I just had to say that...and of course I don't care because I can see how much better she will be doing.) but... I'm not necessarily sure how she will be able to socialize and just be her age.  I do have 6 kids...and only homeschool her.  Four go to public school and the youngest is 1.  So she does get to socialize with her 17 yo sister and 15 yo brother.  I still don't think that is enough.  The friends she does have (from public school) really are very negative (maybe the age? maybe the culture)  Anyways, how important is the socializing? Or am I panicking for nothing?

by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Replies (11-16):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this

That fear & concern is very normal for a new homeschooling Mom. If you can't find activities or groups for her to join maybe you should try making some for her. I have a friend that did just that for her DD that is an only child & now there are several programs & groups in our aria that she is the founder of!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I lived outside of a somewhat rural town a few yrs back. We couldn't find much but there was a small homeschool group there. Took a while to find them though.

Try posting on the bulletin boards at libraries, drycleaners, community centers, check with the nearest ymca...let her play in some of the sports programs at the y or local athletic clubs.

Get involved in pen pal programs. Let her get a part time or summer job as soon as she can...babysitting when ready...

Search online homeschool groups + your town county etc.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Scouting program? Church youth group? Fine arts program? Karate? Dance?
coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:27 PM

We are in a super homeschool friendly area.  We have found a group locally with 600 members.  We have both of our children skating.  I have my youngest who artistic rollerskates 3 days a week.  She happens to be the youngest member of the skating club at 5 1/2.  My ODD is on a speed skating team.  EVERYONE else on her team goes to public school.  I can tell you all those kids (with the exception of 1 boy who is much better than he used to be) are kids I wouldn't mind her spending large quantities of time with.  The boy mentioned above lost his dad 5 years ago while in combat....and he has anger issues that his coach is trying to help him channel and get under control (I understand why he acts the way he does) otherwise he's a good kid.  You have to seek the areas of interest and follow them.  My kids interact with other homeschooled kids in a craft club that meets once a month, but they also see these same kids on a weekly basis for a fitness activity.  I take them because they enjoy being around other gils there own age.  I wish you luck....just remember that you don't have to be with kids your own age to socialize....just talking to anyone helps do the trick.

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Have you tried fb and Yahoo groups? I just started googling until I found stuff. Now I'm a part of too many groups. Lol
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I think socializing has been given more importance than it should be given. Socialization happens naturally more than not and as long as there are times where your children get to interact with other children as well as adults, then you really do have the socializing covered.
Do you have a library, a park or an activity center that you can visit take her to?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN