Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you handle your academic shortcomings?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:27 PM
  • 7 Replies

Im not very good at math. It was always a struggle for me in school. I know know I had a learning disability, but during the 70s when I was in school it wasnt diagnosed. We moved around a lot and I didnt really stay in one district for long. Sometimes the District was doing something completely new, and I was behind. other times, they were reviewing somthing I had already learned and I was bored. I am a smart person, so I was able to catch on, but I developed my own way, and not the way things were taught, or even taught today in schools. 

I am a college graduate with a masters degree, so Im no dummy, lol... 

So, that being said, How do you overcome your shortcomings? How will I teach math to my 7 year old (2nd grade) when I can barely do it. LOL. How will I make sure he gets a good education and goes to college? 

100 percent of HS graduates in my town go on to higher education. 

Im begining to consider homeschooling, and this is one of my fears. 

Thanks for the information. 

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not homeschooling yet (plan to start this fall) but I know most curriculum you can buy has the option of buying the teaching manual also. and in those they explain how to teach that particular problem. I have the same anxiety about language arts so your not alone. good luck mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Find a Co-op or tutor that can help also you yourself can look into khan academy to teach you and you can use it with your son as well.

Luckily I am great at reading and history and my husband is good at science and math. So we have everything covered. But we do use a Co-op and if there was something we just could not figure out we look online or in the phone book. someone can help somewhere.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I find programs and tutors to help. I learn and improve myself. I am also not teaching my sons what I know. I am teaching them how to learn. My favorite subjects to teach were ones I hated in school.
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

You are living proof that a subject (math in your case) can be learned by different means then what the academic world would have you believe! So I would learn your child's learning style & use what works for them regardless of what is considered the "right way" to learn it! Dose it really matter as long as it is learned, understood & able to be done by them?

jjchick75
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM
I'm okay with elementary and junior high level math but high school is another story. I'm lucky to have a wonderful co-op and my daughter was able to get the help she needed there and passed college Algebra with an A in the Fall. So my advice is find a good co-op!
TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Mobile Photo

The teacher's manuals really are wonderful and include all sorts of additional information in the margins.

Here's an example for Math In Focus 3rd grade. The other publishers I looked at were also full of information like this.

If you start now in 2nd you'll be able to learn again right along with him. The ladies in here have loads of fun ideas to help make math fun too.
TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Mobile Photo

Lastly (sorry for multiple replies!) the teacher's manuals also include extras in the back from games, to number lines, to dot paper (for beginning multiplication.

They also have pacing guides which is my favorite part. :)

I was nervous as all get out before we started this year, but the guides make me feel more than secure.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)