Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Courts Criticize Home School Family For Not Using State Certified Home School Curriculum

Posted by   + Show Post

Even though Texas does not require the use of State Certified Home School Curriculum, the courts are siting the parents:  

Texas Home School Family Battles Judge Over Homeschooling. 

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

In that case the ruling would have stated that the kids would need to be in public school until the next hearing.  But since that was not what the ruling stated but instead until the children can be evaluated by an education expert, I'm not sure that I can believe that it is to make sure they are being educated during the process.  

Since so many foster children have such interrupted educations to begin with, I would rather see what their scores in public schools were before they were placed in foster care.  That would be a better indicator of what has been going on in the house.  

Quoting KickButtMama:

I believe the judge ordered the PS because he didn't want the kids to go completely uneducated through this long drawn-out process. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The new hearing was on January 9th I believe and this happened:  

Quote:

The judge found no abuse or neglect and agreed the children should not have been removed. She did order public schooling WHILE the children are evaluated by an educational expert. At that point the judge will decide what happens next. She is open to them home schooling in the future, she just wants to make sure it is being done in a bona fide manner as required by State Home Schooling laws. The 3 children not returned were the 2 pending adoption and the oldest, a child from a previous marriage who is with his father. One of the children pending adoption has had their biological parents step up to the plate and they are working to be a family again. We applaud them for that. The custody of other two will be revisited. THSC will have more on this as things develop. As we are currently in litigation more details cannot be released. 
Which really burns me up!  If there is no abuse, then why the heck do the kids need to be public schooled until they can be "evaluated by an educational expert"?  Now that I have read this, I agree that this is a tactic in attacking homeschooling.

cjsix
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:26 PM

BUMP!

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:54 PM
5 moms liked this

angry

Quote:

However, that same – unidentified – caseworker, also told the court, “Nobody in their right mind would want to stay home all day with so many children,” and the court then required parenting classes and a psychological exam for Mrs. Tutt

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:21 PM

They would HAVE to remove the foster children until it was investigated. The media attention could cause the agency to show away from using this family again. 

The foster kids were removed - so the public school order was done for the biological children of this couple.

You are correct, the goal of the foster system IS to deal with any issues and reunite the families. 

Quoting snowangel1979: There has to be more to the story. A lot more. I'm usually anti-cps. But It's just not adding up. I'm wondering if the children were really behind.
Especially since they were foster parents. These people were pre-approved and screened to care for children by the state. They usually don't just rip children out of a foster home unless it was bad.

I really think the ordering the children into school and the wanting state testing ect, may be because they had foster care children.
Technically those children don't belong to anyone but the state while in foster care, you can't just do as you want. Even though the children's parental rights were eventually taken, a foster parent doesn't have the right to install their personal beliefs or agenda on someone else's child. (it doesn't state if the bio-parents still had rights while placed in care at their home.) The goal with foster care is usually bio-family reunification.
I'm sure you have to be approved to homeschool foster children, just like you have to approve/ let them know about everything including doctors visits and sending them to public school.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I am VERY much AGAINST homeschooling foster kids!!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 13, 2014 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this
According to the homeschoolers’ coalition, a caseworker concluded,

“There is no problem here."

However,
that same – unidentified – caseworker, also told the court, “Nobody in their right mind would want to stay home all day with so many children,” and the court then required parenting classes and a psychological exam for Mrs. Tutt.

CPS had determined that there was not anything wrong going on in the home. Then to go beyond this point should not have happened. Then to speak such BIASED words is unacceptable and this woman should have to take work assessment tests and prove that she is capable of holding true to the commitments required to work in such an establishment.
In the csaw of the foster kids, she had already been approved by the appropriate authorities. For them to come in after the fact and take exception is ludicrous and wrong.
redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this

It angers me that a mother is forced to take a mental exam because she enjoys being home with her children.

What the hell has happened to societies perception of motherhood and the role of a mother?

Quoting kirbymom: According to the homeschoolers’ coalition, a caseworker concluded,

However,
that same – unidentified – caseworker, also told the court, “Nobody in their right mind would want to stay home all day with so many children,” and the court then required parenting classes and a psychological exam for Mrs. Tutt.

CPS had determined that there was not anything wrong going on in the home. Then to go beyond this point should not have happened. Then to speak such BIASED words is unacceptable and this woman should have to take work assessment tests and prove that she is capable of holding true to the commitments required to work in such an establishment.
In the csaw of the foster kids, she had already been approved by the appropriate authorities. For them to come in after the fact and take exception is ludicrous and wrong.

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I wonder what the term "brainwashed" ment to the judge? What were they teaching their kids?

No matter the answer, I disagree with the judge. I'm just curious. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 13, 2014 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
You ask what's happened to society's perception of motherhood and the role of a mother?? Well, it would be the dissemination of the family as a whole to begin with and then to take away the image of how a mother is viewed. No longer is it
Considered a wonderful thing for a mother to stay at home and cook and clean and take care of the family plus to enjoy doing it. Those who do must be crazy and in need of "help".

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

It angers me that a mother is forced to take a mental exam because she enjoys being home with her children.

What the hell has happened to societies perception of motherhood and the role of a mother?

Quoting kirbymom: According to the homeschoolers’ coalition, a caseworker concluded,

However,

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Why?

Quoting celtic77dragon:

I am VERY much AGAINST homeschooling foster kids!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)