Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

history curriculum

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM
  • 10 Replies
What history curriculum do you use for your 3rd graders? I need some advice. I tried Story of the World this year but my oldest didn't seem to fond of it.

I also have a 1st grader as well. I don't want to do unit studies because I don't really know how.I'm not opposed to learning if someone has a good program tho.

TIA
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Bump! I'm always looking for a good history curiculum too. As of this moment we're just watching movies and following up with some library books.

sdgd21
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 3:27 PM
We use sonlight, and my kids love the history. I have to say it is amazing, I even have had family members over while I'm schooling the kids. They cannot believe how wonderful history can be.
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM

The Constitution use to be taught in our schools.  If you feel that is important, there is a board  game  that teaches the Constitution, and it is highly rated.  The Constitution Quest Game .   

OOps It is recommended for adults and teens.  Your children are too young for it. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:26 PM

My kids really aren't all that into Story of the World, either, though I keep coming back to it because history isn't my strong suit.  So I sit and think about what my kids should know, and we go from there.  We studied Cinderella tales from around the world last year (ok, not history, but language arts IS my thing!).  We did the American Revolution this year and watched Liberty's Kids.  My two oldest two are studying Latin and enjoy the myths.  My oldest did a project on Native Americans this year, while my daughter did a report on Ben Franklin (which is actually what led to the Liberty's Kids thing).  We also do a bit of history with science and such.  I would be very surprised, though, if my kids were to become history buffs, but stranger things have been known to happen!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:02 PM
I do my own history. I have yet to find a program I like that isn't too expensive. I mostly use living books. I think story of your world is meant to be used with other books.
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM
I think we will be just be learning about all 50 states. fun facts, capitals, flags etc. that's more geography but I still think that age should be somewhat fun and flexible in some subjects.

I will have a 1st & 3rd grader this fall when we start :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:50 PM

If not SOTW, I would probably stick with something from a Catholic publisher (for my own family) - so Seton or CHC, likely.

Oh, Memoria Press! They schedule D'Aulaire's Greek Myths at this age. That would be fun!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:13 PM
This yr we are using rod & staff. Its just a brief old fashioned text book style. We read some library books and make crafts like dioramas to go with it and the kids seem to like it. I picked the grade level between my two oldest and my small ones listen in.
gingerfrog
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:19 PM

My daughter is too young for homeschool (she's only 2), but she loves the show Liberty Kids which teaches American History.

mhaney03
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:51 PM

we got knowledge quest and my kids are hating it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)