Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Story of the World?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:05 PM
  • 26 Replies

I am thinking of using SOTW with two of my kiddos next year (6 and 10). Does anyone have any pros, cons, thoughts, experiences, etc. to share?

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I love Story of the World and I recommend it whole heartedly for the 1-4th graders.  BUT at what grade-level is the 10 year old working?  Since the 10 year old if not already will soon be looking at things logically and reasoning out the hows and whys of things....I recommend also getting the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia to boost the history for that child.  Which period were you planning to begin?

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:28 PM

My kids complain LOUDLY when we use it, but I also don't have the activity books to go along with it all.  I like it.  The chapters are short, the information is good.  But something about it makes my kids very cranky.

MamaDearie
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Part of my concern was that I have seen various different reviews of it, some saying that it would be fine to use with a first grader and a fifth grader at the same time. I wasn't sure how that would work. Both of these kids are advanced. My 5 year old who would be in first grade in public school next year based on age is already in the middle of first grade work here at home and my soon to be 10 year old is about a year beyond as well.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:21 AM
We loved the work book but I wasn't crazy about the text. I found to be not as in depth as we like. I think it is great though if you suppliment with other books.
kmath
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I love it, but you will definitely need to supplement with other books if you want a thourough history.  It is good and the way they present the story is great.  It just doesn't have that much deapth to it.  The activities are fun though and DS loves doing them.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:51 AM

I would say its worth nothing without the workbook to go with it. The text was a bit empty, for us it was all about the projects.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I tried it as a spine for my 5th and 6th graders (1st year homeschoolers) and it didn't work.  We have the workbook as well, but the projects didn't really get a point across to my kids.  I changed it up just starting in January....we still read some chapters here and there, but not in order and we don't use it alone, we also use Eyewitness books from what we are studying as well as MTH (which are a quick read for my kids, but they love the books) and You Wouldn't Want to Be...books.  Then we look on history.com for the topic to see what they have.  And we watch Horrible Histories (the American cartoon version and clips of the BBC version on youtube), and I try to find a documentary on each thing we study.  Then we got these History Scribe sheets from CurrClick for I think $0.99 so they draw a picture and write a couple sentences about what they learned.  I plan to have them do a bigger writing assignment later, but this works for now.

It works well because I can give my older/advanced child more to do (longer writing, more reading, etc) and lower my expectations a bit for my younger/on level kiddo.

So I really like SOTW because it tells it like a story, but it was too slow and low for my kids so now we just use it to supplement a bit rather than putting the focus on SOTW.

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with Kyla.

I knew I was not a big fan of the books, so I used History Odyssey which uses SOTW as one of many resources for Level 1 of the classical education model. This ended up working really well for us. 

Quoting kmath:

I love it, but you will definitely need to supplement with other books if you want a thourough history.  It is good and the way they present the story is great.  It just doesn't have that much deapth to it.  The activities are fun though and DS loves doing them.

"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire." Education is BOTH the filling of a pail and the lighting of a fire. 

MamaDearie
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Thanks everyone! This has all really helped! :-)

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM

It's my favorite of the elementary history options.

I only use the first volume, as there are some mild anti-Catholic flavors in a couple of the later books, and I'm not one to create more work for myself (lol), but it's the first one I recommend, regardless.

Activity book is NECESSARY to make it worthwhile; otherwise it's just a text/story book.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN