Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am thinking of using SOTW with two of my kiddos next year (6 and 10). Does anyone have any pros, cons, thoughts, experiences, etc. to share?

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Replies (21-26):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Me thinks that it's called "History of the World". I think she has some books done, and is planning "guides"?

Do you belong to the WTM boards? They're great.

Quoting kmath:

That would be cool!  Hopefully she can finish it before DS gets there. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

She's working on a high school curriculum, I believe.

Quoting kmath:

Ok, thought I would check.  Thanks!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You know, I'm not sure. We veer to Catholic curriculum for the 4 year cycle, especially after SOTW, as most of the choices are either too secular for our taste, or anti-Catholic protestant in flavor. I'm not sure what she recommends; if I remember correctly, it is outlining from her suggested encyclopedia, writing assignments across the curriculum (i.e. history, in this case) and her suggested literature resources, for the logic stage.

I preference RC history's cycle and program. I love SOTW, but after book 1 the protestant flavor is too much for me, so I leave the program - but it's still the one I recommend over any other, for someone who doesn't use catholic resources like we do.

Quoting kmath:

It's definitely not a complaint with me.  I like that it is more of an overview.  No way would DS remember all that stuff if there was more deapth to it.  I like being able to do more research on subjects he is really interested in and just skimming on the other stuff for now.  That's why SOTW works so well for us.  I just know that people complain about the lack of deapth, so I always put that in when talking about it. 

I've read up on it some, but after SOTW what is a good curric to use for the next cycle? 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Bingo.

And it isn't supposed to be "in depth". I see this complaint primarily from those trying to use it for older children. The suggested sequence, I *believe*, is volume 1 - first grade, volume 2 - second grade, volume 3 - third grade, volume 4 - fourth grade; using it in the suggested "cycle", and understanding her entire educational philosophy, reminds us that the children will be using something DIFFERENT for the second cycle (in the logic stage/middle school years), and then something still DIFFERENT in the high school years; each cycle going more and in more in depth, and adhering to her beliefs surrounding cognitive development at each "level" of education. SOTW was NEVER meant to be used with older children, although she does give suggestions for logic stage enrichment IF you are using it at that stage. It was meant to give a developmentally appropriate "taste" for history, for the elementary aged crowd.

Quoting kmath:

Yeah, I agree that if you use the literature suggested (or find others that work for you) and use one of the Encyclopedia's and the activities it is a pretty good curriculum.  I still tend to find a few other books on some subjects, but that is mostly cause we get caught up in them. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

As an fyi, the actiivty guide gives literature suggestions to go with it; the program assumes that you are utilizing the encyclopedia, activities, and literature enrichment suggested. I don't think she intended the textbook to be a standalone with her activity book and enrichment suggestions.

Quoting kmath:

I love it, but you will definitely need to supplement with other books if you want a thourough history.  It is good and the way they present the story is great.  It just doesn't have that much deapth to it.  The activities are fun though and DS loves doing them.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kmath
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM

No, but I need to join, at least for the History aspect.  I'll check them out later today when I get home from work.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Me thinks that it's called "History of the World". I think she has some books done, and is planning "guides"?

Do you belong to the WTM boards? They're great.

Quoting kmath:

That would be cool!  Hopefully she can finish it before DS gets there. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

She's working on a high school curriculum, I believe.

Quoting kmath:

Ok, thought I would check.  Thanks!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You know, I'm not sure. We veer to Catholic curriculum for the 4 year cycle, especially after SOTW, as most of the choices are either too secular for our taste, or anti-Catholic protestant in flavor. I'm not sure what she recommends; if I remember correctly, it is outlining from her suggested encyclopedia, writing assignments across the curriculum (i.e. history, in this case) and her suggested literature resources, for the logic stage.

I preference RC history's cycle and program. I love SOTW, but after book 1 the protestant flavor is too much for me, so I leave the program - but it's still the one I recommend over any other, for someone who doesn't use catholic resources like we do.

Quoting kmath:

It's definitely not a complaint with me.  I like that it is more of an overview.  No way would DS remember all that stuff if there was more deapth to it.  I like being able to do more research on subjects he is really interested in and just skimming on the other stuff for now.  That's why SOTW works so well for us.  I just know that people complain about the lack of deapth, so I always put that in when talking about it. 

I've read up on it some, but after SOTW what is a good curric to use for the next cycle? 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Bingo.

And it isn't supposed to be "in depth". I see this complaint primarily from those trying to use it for older children. The suggested sequence, I *believe*, is volume 1 - first grade, volume 2 - second grade, volume 3 - third grade, volume 4 - fourth grade; using it in the suggested "cycle", and understanding her entire educational philosophy, reminds us that the children will be using something DIFFERENT for the second cycle (in the logic stage/middle school years), and then something still DIFFERENT in the high school years; each cycle going more and in more in depth, and adhering to her beliefs surrounding cognitive development at each "level" of education. SOTW was NEVER meant to be used with older children, although she does give suggestions for logic stage enrichment IF you are using it at that stage. It was meant to give a developmentally appropriate "taste" for history, for the elementary aged crowd.

Quoting kmath:

Yeah, I agree that if you use the literature suggested (or find others that work for you) and use one of the Encyclopedia's and the activities it is a pretty good curriculum.  I still tend to find a few other books on some subjects, but that is mostly cause we get caught up in them. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

As an fyi, the actiivty guide gives literature suggestions to go with it; the program assumes that you are utilizing the encyclopedia, activities, and literature enrichment suggested. I don't think she intended the textbook to be a standalone with her activity book and enrichment suggestions.

Quoting kmath:

I love it, but you will definitely need to supplement with other books if you want a thourough history.  It is good and the way they present the story is great.  It just doesn't have that much deapth to it.  The activities are fun though and DS loves doing them.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I have to admit I'm kinda lazy and often look for educational shortcuts in the way of videos and games and such... I have been comtemplating buying Story of the World on audio for a while now. It would be something I'd have us all listen to in the evening - my kids are just about to turn 10, 10 and 12.

Would you all say that's worth it???

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Not for those ages, not if this is your only history program. It wasn't meant to be the *only* thing used for the logic stage (which starts roughly at grade 5); the books were written progressively in more depth and difficulty; the first book meant for the grade 1/2 crowd.

Quoting Chasing3:

I have to admit I'm kinda lazy and often look for educational shortcuts in the way of videos and games and such... I have been comtemplating buying Story of the World on audio for a while now. It would be something I'd have us all listen to in the evening - my kids are just about to turn 10, 10 and 12.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM

no, it would be supplemental to what we are doing. Just something to listen to in the evenings or on a lazy day... Sounds like even starting at book 1 would be boring for them, though.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Not for those ages, not if this is your only history program. It wasn't meant to be the *only* thing used for the logic stage (which starts roughly at grade 5); the books were written progressively in more depth and difficulty; the first book meant for the grade 1/2 crowd.

Quoting Chasing3:

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:09 AM
I liked it but the kids didn't. We now use Easy Peasy All in One Homeschool which is free online, for science and history. It follows the same format, but the lessons are shorter, keep their interest, and they love it....and if they love it, they will retain the information better!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN