Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need help with an idea for a teen

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Im going to create a "life lesson" month. 

I need ideas on how to accomplish this. I want him to realistically look for jobs, budget his "paycheck", learn time management, etc. He keeps talking about how he wants to move out at 16 etc with his other 16 year old friend etc they are going to get an apartment together etc. He says the friends sister will sign for apartment etc, no matter much i tell him no, or its a bad idea we all know he think we are wrong so i want to prove to him. He says he is planning to drop out of school and get his GED in a few years. Obvisouly this wont happen, but i want to make it into a lesson. His responsblity at home will go up because he wants more independance, so in our house in order to gain that, he has to prove he can handle it. But i want to make it a project for him. Any creative ideas on how to accomplish this!

Thanks. 

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Is he going to have a real job so that real money can be used in this experiment or is this all pretend?

SamMom912
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Yeah, Id have him look thru the newspaper/monster or some other job finding things and find a job he thinks he could get. take that jobs income and figure out after taxes what he takes home. then, Id have him look at the cost of car/bus/transportation expenses, food (have him buy pretend grocerys) pay electric, pay rent, going out. 

See if all that "works out" ... Lol

i might actually do that the other way around.. Have him look at expenses first... Living "good"... THEN Id let him figure out what he makes as a HIS drop out... And see hiw it DOESNT work out too well.. 

Then he can figure out what things he CANT do.. Like eat, or go out... 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I might start charging him the cost/value of all the things you do for him.  Does he know what it costs to have a maid?  A chef?  A chauffeur?  Have him make some tough choices, money-wise, too.  Does he use that $10 to go see movies with a friend, or does he choose to have some food in his fridge?  What happens when his friends, who weren't thrifty, take his food cuz it's in the fridge?  16 year olds aren't known for their restraint.  I also think it's really tough to pull this off without it being real, because the real/hard/painful consequences aren't real, they're hypothetical.

JerrysMom2011
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:09 PM

He is getting a real job so it will be as real as i can make it without him actually moving out of the house. 

Quoting usmom3:

Is he going to have a real job so that real money can be used in this experiment or is this all pretend?

dawncs
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:12 PM

I recommend having him research careers and what they pay for as a part of this month. It should include what he could earn with or without a college education. In my area, it would be very difficult to get and afford an apartment on a minimum wage job. The few factory jobs in my area actually require some schooling at the local commuity college.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:49 PM
3 moms liked this

What I would do then is

Charge him rent & utility's & if you have to take him to his job charge him for the gas & use of your car.

Charge him like a restaurant if he is going to eat what you cook. Make a shelf in the fridge & pantry for him & tell him he can only eat what he buys with his own money. If you find out he ate something you payed for charge him for it.

Charge him to do his laundry or he has to do his own.

Everything like that that you can think of & make it accurate. As in don't charge him more then he would realistically pay for an efficiency apartment for his room & use of the kitchen & bathroom. 

Quoting JerrysMom2011:

He is getting a real job so it will be as real as i can make it without him actually moving out of the house. 

Quoting usmom3:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Contact some potential employers and explain that you home educate and would like to give your child the experience of the interview process and ask the person if they have the time to invest in it. Offer something like a gc for subway or panera or something to treat the guy to lunch for helping.
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

When the kids were younger we did an economics lesson where they had to pay for certain things and were paid a certain amount for other things.  We used fake money for our transactions and I was the bank.  For your son you could do somewhat the same idea, only modify it for an older child (I'm assuming he's close to 16 years old).

Charge him for rent, food, water, electricity, and trash.  If he wishes to use the computer, tv, or gaming systems that you own and he doesn't, then he can pay you outright to buy them from you (full cost) or he can rent them from you a flat fee per 24 hour, and he can rent the games and dvd's per day too.  Make the rent what he would be paying if he roomed with one other person (so half the rental cost in your area for a place like what him and his buds are looking for), and charge him a third of the other bills.  He pays for gas when he uses the vehicle, and rents the vehicle out per day if he doesn't own his own.  Don't lend any money and if he lacks funds then he gets a late fee tacked on to the unpaid bill.

JerrysMom2011
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas so far! The creative process is starting to flow. He thinks that $200 every two weeks is going to be enough because "we are going in on half of everything" Now if i am not mistaken unless you are emanicpated and have papers to prove it you can still only work at nights on a work permit and weekends. In our area this will mean either him buying his own car, insurance etc OR taking a taxi at night. Especially where him and his friend are thinking of moving to is very country. Even in the city buses here stop running at an unresonable time for most night workers. Im still laughing at the thought that he lives in someone elses trailer/apt etc that someone else signs for and expects to live there without getting kicked out. This all started because him and his friend wanted to move to japan, then to canda, then to CA, now they just want to move in together, these guys are best friends, the best friend of my son is a bad influence anyways the best friend has no rules at his house, he smokes, drinks etc. So im sure this is just part of him wanting to live with his best friend because "he is so cool" and he has been telling all this friends that they are doing this in the summer this year and he will be doped up everyday. He even asked me if I could homeschool via skype. LOL..........he is a comedian

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Lol. That's what I was going to suggest. Remember the Cosby Show? Once Theo wanted to be an adult, so they charged him rent for his room, and rent for his furniture, then the food, etc. He soon realized how much it really cost. 

Having real money to work with is great! I'd start a savings account so you can place his fees in there. But get a newspaper, and choose the rent amounts accurately. If you make them some outrageous amount it won't help. I would also put child locks on all his electrical outlets in his room, and charge him per minute to have an extension cord. Once my sons realize they can't charge their electronics they would be backing waaaay off...lol. Oh, and make him get one of those pay-per-minute cell phones. Once the rent and food is paid for, and the 'electric' and 'cable' it can seem expensive to shell out for minutes....hehehe

Quoting usmom3:

What I would do then is

Charge him rent & utility's & if you have to take him to his job charge him for the gas & use of your car.

Charge him like a restaurant if he is going to eat what you cook. Make a shelf in the fridge & pantry for him & tell him he can only eat what he buys with his own money. If you find out he ate something you payed for charge him for it.

Charge him to do his laundry or he has to do his own.

Everything like that that you can think of & make it accurate. As in don't charge him more then he would realistically pay for an efficiency apartment for his room & use of the kitchen & bathroom. 

Quoting JerrysMom2011:

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)