Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need help with an idea for a teen

Posted by   + Show Post

Im going to create a "life lesson" month. 

I need ideas on how to accomplish this. I want him to realistically look for jobs, budget his "paycheck", learn time management, etc. He keeps talking about how he wants to move out at 16 etc with his other 16 year old friend etc they are going to get an apartment together etc. He says the friends sister will sign for apartment etc, no matter much i tell him no, or its a bad idea we all know he think we are wrong so i want to prove to him. He says he is planning to drop out of school and get his GED in a few years. Obvisouly this wont happen, but i want to make it into a lesson. His responsblity at home will go up because he wants more independance, so in our house in order to gain that, he has to prove he can handle it. But i want to make it a project for him. Any creative ideas on how to accomplish this!

Thanks. 

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Replies (11-11):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:35 PM

That episode was the first thing I thought of when I read this post!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Lol. That's what I was going to suggest. Remember the Cosby Show? Once Theo wanted to be an adult, so they charged him rent for his room, and rent for his furniture, then the food, etc. He soon realized how much it really cost. 

Having real money to work with is great! I'd start a savings account so you can place his fees in there. But get a newspaper, and choose the rent amounts accurately. If you make them some outrageous amount it won't help. I would also put child locks on all his electrical outlets in his room, and charge him per minute to have an extension cord. Once my sons realize they can't charge their electronics they would be backing waaaay off...lol. Oh, and make him get one of those pay-per-minute cell phones. Once the rent and food is paid for, and the 'electric' and 'cable' it can seem expensive to shell out for minutes....hehehe

Quoting usmom3:

What I would do then is

Charge him rent & utility's & if you have to take him to his job charge him for the gas & use of your car.

Charge him like a restaurant if he is going to eat what you cook. Make a shelf in the fridge & pantry for him & tell him he can only eat what he buys with his own money. If you find out he ate something you payed for charge him for it.

Charge him to do his laundry or he has to do his own.

Everything like that that you can think of & make it accurate. As in don't charge him more then he would realistically pay for an efficiency apartment for his room & use of the kitchen & bathroom. 

Quoting JerrysMom2011:

He is getting a real job so it will be as real as i can make it without him actually moving out of the house. 

Quoting usmom3:

Is he going to have a real job so that real money can be used in this experiment or is this all pretend?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)