Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

science curriculum?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:13 PM
  • 19 Replies
the 'history curriculum' post made me think about science again LOL

I will have a 1st & 3rd grader this fall....what are your experiences with that age category for science?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Blow things up as much as possible. LOL. I would start with chemistry. There are some great helps out there. We had a blast with it. My youngest loved calling salt the two bad boys. Last year we started an element collection. There is a great periodic table coloring book. Any areas they are interested in?
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:41 PM
haha are you mu husband in disguise? that's what he said too. they are into the solar system and weather.

Quoting jen2150: Blow things up as much as possible. LOL. I would start with chemistry. There are some great helps out there. We had a blast with it. My youngest loved calling salt the two bad boys. Last year we started an element collection. There is a great periodic table coloring book. Any areas they are interested in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this
No, I am just tomgirl with two boys that grew up on mythbusters. LOL. Real science odyssey has a great curriculum options. I highly recommend Chinese lanterns. Great for weather study and they are pretty cheap. They are neat to watch. The great thing about chemistry is you can use it for any science study. Solar system is a great idea. Lots of grear options.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: haha are you mu husband in disguise? that's what he said too. they are into the solar system and weather.

Quoting jen2150: Blow things up as much as possible. LOL. I would start with chemistry. There are some great helps out there. We had a blast with it. My youngest loved calling salt the two bad boys. Last year we started an element collection. There is a great periodic table coloring book. Any areas they are interested in?
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:58 PM

I'm not much help.  I piece together my own science curriculum. I have the boys choose topics they want to cover and I pull together the materials necessary to do them.  Mine are young, so I know I'll have the time to cover all of the disciplines before they concentrate in high school.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Apilogia is fun if christian is ok.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:06 PM
Apologia... excuse my typo.
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:09 PM
that's ok too. I just don't know how to ho about that with limited internet access.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm not much help.  I piece together my own science curriculum. I have the boys choose topics they want to cover and I pull together the materials necessary to do them.  Mine are young, so I know I'll have the time to cover all of the disciplines before they concentrate in high school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:12 PM
I'm looking into that now :-) do you think its ok for a 1st grader? not too much?

Quoting KrissyKC: Apilogia is fun if christian is ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Yeah, that would be hard.  Do you have a good library nearby?

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: that's ok too. I just don't know how to ho about that with limited internet access.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:22 PM
They have junior notebooks. I completely recommend doing the notebook journals. The junior one is for say k-2 unless they are advanced readers and writers.

It had coloring pages, spots to write stuff you learn, other games and activities and crafts to make and place in your book.

We are doing anatomy with them this year. Sixth, fourth, and kindy. Kindy takes from it what she does and ill repeat it later with her and my youngest when he is ready in a few years.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: I'm looking into that now :-) do you think its ok for a 1st grader? not too much?

Quoting KrissyKC: Apilogia is fun if christian is ok.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN