Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the 'history curriculum' post made me think about science again LOL

I will have a 1st & 3rd grader this fall....what are your experiences with that age category for science?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Replies (11-19):
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:27 PM
yes! about 25 miles away is the closest library (or anything for that matter LOL)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yeah, that would be hard.  Do you have a good library nearby?

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: that's ok too. I just don't know how to ho about that with limited internet access.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm not much help.  I piece together my own science curriculum. I have the boys choose topics they want to cover and I pull together the materials necessary to do them.  Mine are young, so I know I'll have the time to cover all of the disciplines before they concentrate in high school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:28 PM
ok ill take that intp consideration. thanks!!!

Quoting KrissyKC: They have junior notebooks. I completely recommend doing the notebook journals. The junior one is for say k-2 unless they are advanced readers and writers.

It had coloring pages, spots to write stuff you learn, other games and activities and crafts to make and place in your book.

We are doing anatomy with them this year. Sixth, fourth, and kindy. Kindy takes from it what she does and ill repeat it later with her and my youngest when he is ready in a few years.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: I'm looking into that now :-) do you think its ok for a 1st grader? not too much?

Quoting KrissyKC: Apilogia is fun if christian is ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Hey, 25 miles isn't bad!  Use that bad boy!!  Science books are cool!

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: yes! about 25 miles away is the closest library (or anything for that matter LOL)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yeah, that would be hard.  Do you have a good library nearby?

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: that's ok too. I just don't know how to ho about that with limited internet access.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm not much help.  I piece together my own science curriculum. I have the boys choose topics they want to cover and I pull together the materials necessary to do them.  Mine are young, so I know I'll have the time to cover all of the disciplines before they concentrate in high school.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:21 PM
We are working everything hands on project if read a book project my young see my older one making a heart and lung so we are going to make a heart and a lung.
haskins46563
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Mr Q science is fun. He offers the life science for free. I used it last year with first and third grade. This week the earth, physical, and chemistry curriculums are half off with a coupon code. So they are only $25 each for 36 lessons. It includes lots of easy experiments. 

Only thing is, it's a PDF download.  I have it on my iPad for the reading part and downloaded it to the computer to print the end of chapter worksheets so I don't use as much paper. There are about 2-4 worksheets per chapter but they are fun in my opinion.  You can see a sample chapter for each book on his website. Just google Mr. Q Science

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Honestly with those ages, I'd just explore the world around them - the water cycle, the rock cycle, a bit on biology, etc.

MamaDearie
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 6:11 PM

My two cents: NOEO is not worth the money and we are liking A Reason for Science. :-)We have also incorporated tons of Magic School Bus and Wild Kratts as well as outdoor nature studies during the summer (I can't handle cold with my Reynauld's Phenomenon so I tend to cram as much outdoor learning as possible into our summer.).

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 6:15 PM
That's what we are doing, real science odyssey chemistry. My 1st grader loves it but we just started it. Before this we did legos simple machines.

Quoting jen2150: No, I am just tomgirl with two boys that grew up on mythbusters. LOL. Real science odyssey has a great curriculum options. I highly recommend Chinese lanterns. Great for weather study and they are pretty cheap. They are neat to watch. The great thing about chemistry is you can use it for any science study. Solar system is a great idea. Lots of grear options.

Quoting CowgirlMama0508: haha are you mu husband in disguise? that's what he said too. they are into the solar system and weather.

Quoting jen2150: Blow things up as much as possible. LOL. I would start with chemistry. There are some great helps out there. We had a blast with it. My youngest loved calling salt the two bad boys. Last year we started an element collection. There is a great periodic table coloring book. Any areas they are interested in?
mhaney03
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM

REAL science for kids is what we are really enjoying right now.  I looked into real science odyssey but the way the writer had a public temper tantrum over being listed on TEFC website was too much for me to deal with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)