Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I've been asked by a couple of people to teach an engineering / robotics class at our local co-op. I don't think they realized how much that might cost....or maybe they did...I'm super frugal so I'd never pay more than $40 for a co-op class..but robotics would be roughly $65 per student. Shoot, if we were to do the Lego robotics it's upwards of $400/robot!  The $65 would give the kids each a robotic arm that they would build, and I'd teach them about the computer programming so they could program their robot to perform tasks. Does that seem too expensive or would you still sign your child up?

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I don't think that sounds unreasonable at all!

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:49 PM

My son did the lego one while in public school and you are right about that price!

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM

That's a great price Shannon.  I wouldn't hesitate to pay a little more for that many lessons on robotics.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:13 PM
For a 12 week class? We don't have much money and I am very cheap, but I would pay that.

We paid about $70/kid for an engineering class that is biweekly from Sept-April (with no classes in December and only one in January). And they aren't getting a robotic arm! But they have done some small projects they brought home.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Thanks ladies! I'm feeling a little better about the price. None of it is for me, it would all go toward the cost of the supplies. And I agree the Lego is sooo cool but way too expensive!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I would for an older child, yes.

Radiating2
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Yes ma'am! That is an awesome deal for a 12 week program!! I have my son(6) in a Lego exploration class and it's only 1hr a week for three weeks at $49.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Awesome, thanks!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's a great price Shannon.  I wouldn't hesitate to pay a little more for that many lessons on robotics.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Yes, I'm thinking of making the class for 10 y/o and up, but an 8/9 y/o can come if a parent attends with them. My classes tend to be large (between 15-20 kids) so I wouldn't have time to help each child with the building and tools.and the concept of programming is best for older kids as well.

Quoting mem82:

I would for an older child, yes.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Is that the Mindstorms class? 

Quoting Radiating2: Yes ma'am! That is an awesome deal for a 12 week program!! I have my son(6) in a Lego exploration class and it's only 1hr a week for three weeks at $49.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN