Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I've been asked by a couple of people to teach an engineering / robotics class at our local co-op. I don't think they realized how much that might cost....or maybe they did...I'm super frugal so I'd never pay more than $40 for a co-op class..but robotics would be roughly $65 per student. Shoot, if we were to do the Lego robotics it's upwards of $400/robot!  The $65 would give the kids each a robotic arm that they would build, and I'd teach them about the computer programming so they could program their robot to perform tasks. Does that seem too expensive or would you still sign your child up?

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:27 AM

My eldest would LOVE to take an engineering class like that! What type of projects have they done? 

Quoting TJandKarasMom: For a 12 week class? We don't have much money and I am very cheap, but I would pay that.

We paid about $70/kid for an engineering class that is biweekly from Sept-April (with no classes in December and only one in January). And they aren't getting a robotic arm! But they have done some small projects they brought home.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Wow! my son might want to go to PS if they are allowed to do the Mindstorms there! Lol 

Quoting celtic77dragon:

My son did the lego one while in public school and you are right about that price!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! I always stress myself out about planning for co-op...lol....like I have a bunch of people wanting me to teach math as well, but I think it would be better to do tutoring since they are all across the board in their comfort levels....but we'll see. Our co-op only meets once per week for 12 weeks, so for math the parents would need to work on it at home as well. 

Quoting kmath:

For a robotics class I would pay that in a heartbeat!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Most of the things they haven't taken home.  But the most recent was electricity/circuits and they brought home a flashlight they made with wires in a small mint tin.  They also did catapults, but that was in class in groups, but they learned a lot and we built small ones at home.  There was something else but I can't think of it.  I will post more later, I'll pull out their syllabus to see!

Quoting KickButtMama:

My eldest would LOVE to take an engineering class like that! What type of projects have they done? 

Quoting TJandKarasMom: For a 12 week class? We don't have much money and I am very cheap, but I would pay that.

We paid about $70/kid for an engineering class that is biweekly from Sept-April (with no classes in December and only one in January). And they aren't getting a robotic arm! But they have done some small projects they brought home.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:00 AM
I would if my kids are older. I am actually trying to get my husband to provide an electronics class for older kids and teens since that was his job in the military and he is going to school for it but he does not think people would pay the price. Tutor kids who are taking a class but he still says no one would pay him that.
celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM

It was an after school activity and it cost A LOT!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Wow! my son might want to go to PS if they are allowed to do the Mindstorms there! Lol 

Quoting celtic77dragon:

My son did the lego one while in public school and you are right about that price!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Ah, that makes more sense...lol

Quoting celtic77dragon:

It was an after school activity and it cost A LOT!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting celtic77dragon:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I was an engineer before becoming a mom, and my degrees are in physics and geology. I'm pestered CONSTANTLY to offer engineering/science courses. I once offered a circuits/electricity course that was 8 weeks for $80/student. The kids build their own battery operated toy cars. And I have the full series of snap circuits so they were building circuits and such. My electricity courses have always been the most popular. That 8 week course had about 20 kids in it. 

Quoting debramommyof4: I would if my kids are older. I am actually trying to get my husband to provide an electronics class for older kids and teens since that was his job in the military and he is going to school for it but he does not think people would pay the price. Tutor kids who are taking a class but he still says no one would pay him that.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:27 PM

What a fun sounding class! Thanks for looking at the syllabus for me. After a few years at teaching these types of courses I'm running out of ideas! lol 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Most of the things they haven't taken home.  But the most recent was electricity/circuits and they brought home a flashlight they made with wires in a small mint tin.  They also did catapults, but that was in class in groups, but they learned a lot and we built small ones at home.  There was something else but I can't think of it.  I will post more later, I'll pull out their syllabus to see!

Quoting KickButtMama:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:33 PM
That's awesome. I am showing him this post maybe it will talk him into doing something. We are in a small town so there is not much of that offered.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I was an engineer before becoming a mom, and my degrees are in physics and geology. I'm pestered CONSTANTLY to offer engineering/science courses. I once offered a circuits/electricity course that was 8 weeks for $80/student. The kids build their own battery operated toy cars. And I have the full series of snap circuits so they were building circuits and such. My electricity courses have always been the most popular. That 8 week course had about 20 kids in it. 

Quoting debramommyof4: I would if my kids are older. I am actually trying to get my husband to provide an electronics class for older kids and teens since that was his job in the military and he is going to school for it but he does not think people would pay the price. Tutor kids who are taking a class but he still says no one would pay him that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN