Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I've been asked by a couple of people to teach an engineering / robotics class at our local co-op. I don't think they realized how much that might cost....or maybe they did...I'm super frugal so I'd never pay more than $40 for a co-op class..but robotics would be roughly $65 per student. Shoot, if we were to do the Lego robotics it's upwards of $400/robot!  The $65 would give the kids each a robotic arm that they would build, and I'd teach them about the computer programming so they could program their robot to perform tasks. Does that seem too expensive or would you still sign your child up?

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Replies (31-40):
Bleacher-mom
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM

If I knew ahead of time so I could budget for it and DS really wanted to I would. However, altogether we usually spend about $20 for both kids for 2 classes each. I guess it really depends on your area. Can you send an email to those who might be interested in your group and ask them?

Chillisarah
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Yes, I would. My kids would love that.

Radiating2
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM
It's a program called Brick4kids. What is the Mindstorms class?

Quoting KickButtMama:

Is that the Mindstorms class? 

Quoting Radiating2: Yes ma'am! That is an awesome deal for a 12 week program!! I have my son(6) in a Lego exploration class and it's only 1hr a week for three weeks at $49.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Mindstorms is the brand of robots that Lego produces. They are pretty picey starting at around $400/robot, but they look super fun.

Quoting Radiating2: It's a program called Brick4kids. What is the Mindstorms class?

Quoting KickButtMama:

Is that the Mindstorms class? 

Quoting Radiating2: Yes ma'am! That is an awesome deal for a 12 week program!! I have my son(6) in a Lego exploration class and it's only 1hr a week for three weeks at $49.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Sorry it took me so long to reply.  It has been a busy week!  Here are the topics they are covering:

Straw Rockets

Trebuchets

Electricity

Ski Lift Design

Balls and tracks/ski jump design

balloon powered cars or some other kind of power, she is changing her mind on this I guess.

Paper Bridges

I have to say that I will not pay for a class with this teacher again.  She cannot keep the attention of the kids and this last class she just talked for the whole hour.  Literally, she didn't do anything to engage them at all.  The kids are 10-12.  There is another group of older kids that will actually get to build a mini ski lift, our class just gets to build some chairs for the lift.  I also feel the teacher looks at me constantly (I stay with two other moms, and we help hand out materials and stuff like that) while she is teaching, like she needs my reassurance or something.  Trust me, I am not the one that needs to reassure you, I don't even know what you're talking about half the time.

Anyway, I guess I just don't like her much as a teacher and feel my kids aren't as engaged as I had hoped for.  I wish we lived closer so we could take a class with you :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

What a fun sounding class! Thanks for looking at the syllabus for me. After a few years at teaching these types of courses I'm running out of ideas! lol 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Most of the things they haven't taken home.  But the most recent was electricity/circuits and they brought home a flashlight they made with wires in a small mint tin.  They also did catapults, but that was in class in groups, but they learned a lot and we built small ones at home.  There was something else but I can't think of it.  I will post more later, I'll pull out their syllabus to see!

Quoting KickButtMama:

My eldest would LOVE to take an engineering class like that! What type of projects have they done? 

Quoting TJandKarasMom: For a 12 week class? We don't have much money and I am very cheap, but I would pay that.

We paid about $70/kid for an engineering class that is biweekly from Sept-April (with no classes in December and only one in January). And they aren't getting a robotic arm! But they have done some small projects they brought home.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:06 PM

What a bummer...that's is a syllabus I would (and have) used for kids between the ages of 7-9, completely not appropriate for anyone older. And I'd say it's less an engineering course and more a simple machines, basic physics, course. But then I was an engineer for several years before becoming a mom, so maybe I'm too picky? Lol. 

Thanks for looking for me. Trebuchet's can be fun, but I usually have taught them in conjunction with medieval history. Straw rockets & balloon powered cars are great for the average 5 y/o, once you get past age 8-9 you want to really implement POWER, shoot a couple of years ago I had a huge group of HSers (ages 7-10) who built their own battery operated remote control cars. I'd be ticked to pay that much money and they played with straws...but I'm super cheap..lol...I'm always amazed people want to pay to take my classes!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Sorry it took me so long to reply.  It has been a busy week!  Here are the topics they are covering:

Straw Rockets

Trebuchets

Electricity

Ski Lift Design

balloon powered cars or some other kind of power, she is changing her mind on this I guess.

Paper Bridges

I have to say that I will not pay for a class with this teacher again.  She cannot keep the attention of the kids and this last class she just talked for the whole hour.  Literally, she didn't do anything to engage them at all.  The kids are 10-12.  There is another group of older kids that will actually get to build a mini ski lift, our class just gets to build some chairs for the lift.  I also feel the teacher looks at me constantly (I stay with two other moms, and we help hand out materials and stuff like that) while she is teaching, like she needs my reassurance or something.  Trust me, I am not the one that needs to reassure you, I don't even know what you're talking about half the time.

Anyway, I guess I just don't like her much as a teacher and feel my kids aren't as engaged as I had hoped for.  I wish we lived closer so we could take a class with you :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

What a fun sounding class! Thanks for looking at the syllabus for me. After a few years at teaching these types of courses I'm running out of ideas! lol 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Most of the things they haven't taken home.  But the most recent was electricity/circuits and they brought home a flashlight they made with wires in a small mint tin.  They also did catapults, but that was in class in groups, but they learned a lot and we built small ones at home.  There was something else but I can't think of it.  I will post more later, I'll pull out their syllabus to see!

Quoting KickButtMama:

My eldest would LOVE to take an engineering class like that! What type of projects have they done? 

Quoting TJandKarasMom: For a 12 week class? We don't have much money and I am very cheap, but I would pay that.

We paid about $70/kid for an engineering class that is biweekly from Sept-April (with no classes in December and only one in January). And they aren't getting a robotic arm! But they have done some small projects they brought home.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:04 PM

sounds like a reasonable cost to me.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:21 AM
My kids just started a robotics class. They are working with Arduino boards and a start up kit was on amazon for around 50. They also find it convenient to have their own usb drive and in a couple lessons they will need some accessories.

We aren't poor, but not wealthy and still felt like we wanted to make it happen.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:24 AM
Oh... the class is a small yearly fee, but we all had to get our own robotics stuff. Computers or laptops are necessary, too, though.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jan. 25, 2014 at 5:47 PM
I am super cheap, too, lol. I do think it was worth it just to force us to meet other homeschoolers since this is our first year and my kids are used to be seeing other kids daily. But it is definitely not super interesting for them. But it's also stuff I may not have come up with and taught them.

My BIL is an engineering major in his second year of college, and he actually showed some interest in building with the kids, so I think in the spring he will hopefully teach them something I can't. It's funny, we lived with him as a teenager and he wanted nothing to do with our little kids, so it's nice to see him showing some interest in his niece and nephew ;).

Again, I wish you were closer. You are such a wealth of knowledge I would love to feed off of :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

What a bummer...that's is a syllabus I would (and have) used for kids between the ages of 7-9, completely not appropriate for anyone older. And I'd say it's less an engineering course and more a simple machines, basic physics, course. But then I was an engineer for several years before becoming a mom, so maybe I'm too picky? Lol. 

Thanks for looking for me. Trebuchet's can be fun, but I usually have taught them in conjunction with medieval history. Straw rockets & balloon powered cars are great for the average 5 y/o, once you get past age 8-9 you want to really implement POWER, shoot a couple of years ago I had a huge group of HSers (ages 7-10) who built their own battery operated remote control cars. I'd be ticked to pay that much money and they played with straws...but I'm super cheap..lol...I'm always amazed people want to pay to take my classes!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Straw Rockets

Trebuchets

Electricity

Ski Lift Design

Paper Bridges

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)