Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I have two sons who are old enough for school. Aiden is in 3rd grade and will be 8 yrs old.

I am going to use for Aiden:

Math U See: Gamma with Life of Fred as a supplement
The Mystery of History with some of the Ron Paul Curriculum
Gods Plan For Science (I think that's what it's called) and supplement with Ron Pauls Curriculum
Sequential Spelling
All About Reading with supplement of Explode The Code
Literature from The Ron Paul Curriculum
For LA- I'm waivering between Handwriting w/o Tears, Growing w/Grammar, Writing With Ease

For the Arts:

-We're going to get to know the worlds greatest artists
-I'm gonna get some 'coffeetable books' of the artists
-Learn about and listen to the best classicle masterpieces of the millenium
-I'm going to buy Classic Kids CD series and Music MaSter CDs

Mikai will be 6 yrs and in 1st grade:

All About Reading supplemented with Explode The Code
Math U See/ Life of Fred
Ron Paul Science
Ron Paul Social Studies
Sequential Spelling
Either Writing w/Ease, Handwriting w/o Tears, Growing w/Grammar, or Winning with Writing

Aiden and Kai will do the same Arts curriculum.

Also they both will do some memorizational things:
Geography Songs by Kathy Troxel
Lyrical Science Vol. 1 & 2 by Bobby Horton
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Replies (11-13):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:29 AM

First Language Lessons (for the Well Trained Mind; by SWB) is leaps and bounds better than Growing with Grammar. Good choice!

Quoting chotovec82: We use Growing With Grammar right now but I'm not so sure that he's doing well with it. I mean he is if you count that he doesn't seem to miss anything but I'm not too sure he's retaining it. A friend suggested that I try 1st Language Lessons. I thought I'd give it a few weeks and see how it goes. I have all the books of it free anyway.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

ETA:

My recommendation of FLL for grammar is assuming that your child is an auditory learner; I'm not sure how well it would work for a visual learner. It's a very strong program, but very dependent on a child's auditory processing skills, imo; my visual learner didn't do well wth it, even though *I* love it.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Thanks! I'm gonna give it a try.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

First Language Lessons (for the Well Trained Mind; by SWB) is leaps and bounds better than Growing with Grammar. Good choice!

Quoting chotovec82: We use Growing With Grammar right now but I'm not so sure that he's doing well with it. I mean he is if you count that he doesn't seem to miss anything but I'm not too sure he's retaining it. A friend suggested that I try 1st Language Lessons. I thought I'd give it a few weeks and see how it goes. I have all the books of it free anyway.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

ETA:

My recommendation of FLL for grammar is assuming that your child is an auditory learner; I'm not sure how well it would work for a visual learner. It's a very strong program, but very dependent on a child's auditory processing skills, imo; my visual learner didn't do well wth it, even though *I* love it.

TidewaterClan
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Aimee (AutymsMommy) had wonderful advice on the LA.  I was frustrated knowing how many pieces of the LA puzzle to select for this year too, but it seems like you've got it under control now.  :)  Once you get them in hand you'll be able to see the differences in each book, and it will make more sense.  

Quoting chotovec82: Yea I just wish I had a LA curriculum picked out. I just don't know much about the programs. I also have First Language Lessons given to me... I'm a little overwhelmed.

Quoting TidewaterClan: That sounds like a good plan. I purchased our social studies, reading, & science for next year. It's nice to know where you're headed!

We have "Mystery of History" and use it as a supplement for our world history. I'm Old Earth & believe in evolution, but the first few chapters were good for discussion. Now that we're into Sumer, Egypt, and Ancient China in our world history it's been much more useful. She has details (they had flush toilets in Sumer) the world history doesn't have, and a fun project at the end of each lesson.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)