Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why Curriculum Doesn't Work Blog Post

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:38 PM
BJ
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

I thought this was interesting & wanted to share!

CLICK TO READ

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Good read!

Someone mentioned Archimedes in the comments. That's so funny cause my ds loves him,lol.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I thought it was good too!

Quoting paganbaby:

Good read!

Someone mentioned Archimedes in the comments. That's so funny cause my ds loves him,lol.

katyq
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Meh, it is poorly written. I wonder if the author did poorly in public school.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:46 PM

And I was so hoping that my kiddos would become the landed gentry!  (ok, really, I would, no foolin'.)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I follow my kids interest always. If they are not interested we do something else. So I say this with coming from a quasi unschooling mindset. I have to disagree with this article. The problem is not curriculum but its implementation. When we ignore what our kids are telling us in order to finish the assignment we lose a valuable opportunity. We lose the benefit of flexibility in homeschooling. There are great curriculum out there. I have purchased and curriculum I am doing on my own. My kids love work books. It is never forced. I finally found a writing program my kids love. It is called write shop. It has hands on lessons and is filled with creative writing. The author has some amazing tips. Curriculum works for many families. There are so many choices thst are amazing. I think unschoolers are limiting themselves when they refuse to use any curriculum. I have textbooks for my kids to read for fun. I remember asking my son to get the book to read before bedtime. He went and got a botany textbook that I had just picked up. My son does an online curriculum for physics. He loves it. He comes back and tells me all he has learned.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN