Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

spelling correctly

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:04 AM
  • 18 Replies
My son does great with his spelling lessons, and gets 100s on spelling tests, but when it comes to any other writing assignment, I can barely make out what it says. He wants me to be there the entire time so he can ask how to spell everything, but that makes it very difficult to do anything else, especially school work with my other children. Today I gave him the kids dictionary and told him to look the words up. He wasn't happy about it, but it seems to be working better though taking a little longer. Does this seem reasonable?
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Molimomma
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM

You could also take a file folder and make a portable/storable "word wall" of words he has learned or vocabulary that goes with what he is studying. You could also print up a page in there that has, say, the days of the week, months of the year, or whatever that he can use as a reference when he is writing. He can use it along with the dictionary just to help and make it a little less time consuming. (Not sure how old your son is but this is what I do for lower elementary to help wihile journal writing)

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Great idea! He's 9. Thank you so much. I just told him your idea and he loved it. Thanks!

Quoting Molimomma:

You could also take a file folder and make a portable/storable "word wall" of words he has learned or vocabulary that goes with what he is studying. You could also print up a page in there that has, say, the days of the week, months of the year, or whatever that he can use as a reference when he is writing. He can use it along with the dictionary just to help and make it a little less time consuming. (Not sure how old your son is but this is what I do for lower elementary to help wihile journal writing)

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I have taken the approach with my oldest of making her REALLY try to figure it out.  One day a couple of months ago she came to me with out actually trying to figure out how to spell alligator.  We stopped and sounded it out and she got most of the letters and she walked away to finish.  I came out of my office and what did I find...a 7 yo sitting with the children's dictionary checking her spelling.  I found it amazing that I have not only provided her with the tools, but the know how to locate what she couldn't figure out.

I think your doing a great job....if he can use the dictionary then he can spell anything....just think he can read the definition right there too.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I think using the dictionary is a great compromise for both of you!

LavenderMom23
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I bought my kids leappad2 and downloaded a $25 spelling game. It's working. :)

Jenn8604
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Yep. My parents did that to me and when ds gets to that stage I will too. He's only in kindergarten so he is just learning to write.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM
I've done similar. I bought a coupled notebooks and everyone one of the kids came to a word they wanted to know how to spell, I would write it in their notebook so they could look back through these words and use it to spell in the future.

Quoting Molimomma:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 14, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I agree!

Quoting usmom3:

I think using the dictionary is a great compromise for both of you!

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

That idea about the note book is great I am going to start doing that!

Quoting kirbymom: I've done similar. I bought a coupled notebooks and everyone one of the kids came to a word they wanted to know how to spell, I would write it in their notebook so they could look back through these words and use it to spell in the future.

Quoting Molimomma:

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I just purchased All About Spelling and so far really like it.  Spelling has always been a HUGE challenge for me!   I love that this program teaches spelling rules and helps kids that way rather than just guessing, like I feel I did growing up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)