Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculum

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:47 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi all,
I am new to this group and will be homeschooling my daughter this Fall. She will be in third grade. I am looking for advice on a full curriculum my husband and I can purchase. I won't do word for word but I would like lesson plans laid out and all materials readily available. Math and language doesn't have to be by the same company but I do want prepackaged! Thank you!!
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM
Oops, sorry. I'm not going to be much help as I write our own curriculum, but, here is a bump for you. There are plenty of other moms here who can help you though.

Welcome to the group! :)
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Sorry, I build my own

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I build my own from multiple resources and providers, but I'm familiar with boxed.

What are your faith preferences? Secular, christian/protestant, christian/catholic?

What is your teaching style preference? Traditional scholastic, charlotte mason, classical?

And what type of math - spiral or mastery? Sprial introduces in small increments and constantly reviews previously learned concepts and skills, while mastery masters one skill/concept entirely, before moving to the next, without as much review.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

LavenderMom23
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:34 PM
schoolmarm1
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Thanks!
Christian/Protestant or Christian/Catholic would be fine. I guess more of a spiral approach to math. I'm not really certain of my style but I would probably take a more traditional approach but much less rigid than a traditional classroom.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I build my own from multiple resources and providers, but I'm familiar with boxed.

What are your faith preferences? Secular, christian/protestant, christian/catholic?

What is your teaching style preference? Traditional scholastic, charlotte mason, classical?

And what type of math - spiral or mastery? Sprial introduces in small increments and constantly reviews previously learned concepts and skills, while mastery masters one skill/concept entirely, before moving to the next, without as much review.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I have the most experience with Catholic programs. Traditionally scholastic would be:

Seton Home Study

Kolbe Academy Homeschool

More Charlotte Mason-ish would be:

Catholic Heritage Curriculum

Classical/Catholic:

Anglicum Academy Homeschool

Another good curriculum is Memoria Press - it is sincerely non-denominational in a way that no other curriculum can claim to be (many can say they are, but teach against the Catholic church, so they are sincerely protestant). Memoria Press is one of my favorites :)

Quoting schoolmarm1: Thanks!
Christian/Protestant or Christian/Catholic would be fine. I guess more of a spiral approach to math. I'm not really certain of my style but I would probably take a more traditional approach but much less rigid than a traditional classroom.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Love Seton!

Quoting LavenderMom23:

http://www.setonhome.org/

Seton Home Study School

LavenderMom23
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I love everything except their science, which I often supplement. But they are updating their science, so I'm hopeful.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Love Seton!

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Seton Home Study School

The word for Christmas in late Old English is Cristes Maesse, the Mass of Christ, first found in 1038, and Cristes-messe, in 1131. So the word Christmas literally stands for Christ-Mass.

Merry Christmas! Mary Christ-Mass!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Lol. Agreed.

Quoting LavenderMom23:

I love everything except their science, which I often supplement. But they are updating their science, so I'm hopeful.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Love Seton!

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Seton Home Study School

ambcortez
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I grew up with the Abeka curriculum, so that's what I'm using for both of my kids. It's a religious cirriculum, and somewhat old-fashioned, but it teaches really well to where my kids can understand what they're learning and it tells me how to teach them. I''m currently teaching Kindergarten and 2nd grade, but I taught DS first grade last year. It came with 3 lesson plan books. Each are divided into sections for different subjects. It tells you how to prepare for teaching, what pages in each student book for classwork/seatwork and the student books come with tear-out pages (this year I'm just leaving them in the book so I don't have a million loose pages, lol). I prepped about a month in advance to get all the lessons organized because if it's your first time teaching, it does get a little overwhelming if you don't really know where to start.

My mom taught my sister and me with Abeka and Bob Jones. In highschool we watched Abeka videos while she worked and we had to do projects like Home Ec and take pictures of the food we baked and mail it to the Pensacola location for grading. I'm not sure if there are videos for anything under highschool, but I personally reccomend hands-on. It's so rewarding. I'm teaching DD how to read and I'm proud of myself and of her, of course. But it's amazing because I'm the one teaching her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)