Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Hi all,
I am new to this group and will be homeschooling my daughter this Fall. She will be in third grade. I am looking for advice on a full curriculum my husband and I can purchase. I won't do word for word but I would like lesson plans laid out and all materials readily available. Math and language doesn't have to be by the same company but I do want prepackaged! Thank you!!
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:47 PM
Replies (11-13):
schoolmarm1
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Abeka sounds interesting. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Quoting ambcortez:

I grew up with the Abeka curriculum, so that's what I'm using for both of my kids. It's a religious cirriculum, and somewhat old-fashioned, but it teaches really well to where my kids can understand what they're learning and it tells me how to teach them. I''m currently teaching Kindergarten and 2nd grade, but I taught DS first grade last year. It came with 3 lesson plan books. Each are divided into sections for different subjects. It tells you how to prepare for teaching, what pages in each student book for classwork/seatwork and the student books come with tear-out pages (this year I'm just leaving them in the book so I don't have a million loose pages, lol). I prepped about a month in advance to get all the lessons organized because if it's your first time teaching, it does get a little overwhelming if you don't really know where to start.

My mom taught my sister and me with Abeka and Bob Jones. In highschool we watched Abeka videos while she worked and we had to do projects like Home Ec and take pictures of the food we baked and mail it to the Pensacola location for grading. I'm not sure if there are videos for anything under highschool, but I personally reccomend hands-on. It's so rewarding. I'm teaching DD how to read and I'm proud of myself and of her, of course. But it's amazing because I'm the one teaching her.

schoolmarm1
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:06 PM
I didn't realize how much info is out there. It's a bit overwhelming!
southern_mom980
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I use Abeka for my 1st grader. We hit the local library for extra science stuff...volcanos, weather, human body etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)