Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What was the first chapter book?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 5:06 PM
  • 6 Replies
What was the first Chapter book your child read on their own?
Last night my 5 year old was reading me "Magic Tree House". She can read about 90% of it with no help. There are some words (usually names or odd words) that she needs help with. I have no idea what "reading level" Magic Tree House is. I don't know if there is something easier she should/could be reading.
What were some of the fist chapter books your kids read?
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Amelia Bedelia, Junie B Jones, Judy Moody, Stink, Hi Fly Guy are all good ones.

Magic Treehouse series is a great starting point, too.  Just give her some strategies for sounding out the words.  Many words it really doesn't matter to the plot if she is mispronouncing it (like names....for years I was pronouncing Hermione from the Harry Potter books as Her-me-own, it didn't matter), but correct her if you hear her mispronouncing it.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Henry and Mudge and Magic Tree House were the first ones for DS.

AnnaBright
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:07 PM
The trumpeter swan for my oldest
The Cats of Tanglewood forest for the rest (youngest and I are reading it now)
ladyofnight
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:58 AM

My oldest read Alice in Wonderland for his first actual chapter book. He is now reading Percy Jackson and the Lightning Theif. He reads about a chapter a night. :) he's 8 now. But he read Alice in Wonderland last year. I tried to get him into the Magic Tree House, but he seems uninterested. He asked me what a really good adventure story was and I am introducing him to the classics that have been written for his age. :) I think it's wonderful you daughter is reading chapter books at age 5. My youngest is struggling with reading. I think it's to do with vision and possibly dyslexia. about half of his alphabet is is backwards and upside down. he's turning 7 soon. So, we're focusing on reading this semester. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Magic Tree House for my oldest and Junie B. Jones for my second. My son is not ready for chapter books quite yet.
Homeschoolmo701
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:56 PM

A Junie B. Jones book.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)